Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

300,000 kms + A record??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: 300,000 kms + A record?? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Obviously my post re the overheating didn't turn all of you on to the real topic, whic was whether or not 300,000+ kms is a record for an '87 33 QV. If I get it to 333,333 kms, is that more of a record?
Best regards,

John H
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

300 K km is a big achievement for any small capacity car these days! Well done. Has the engine been overhauled in that time? What about the clutch, or any other major repairs? Would be interested to see your service history - I'm sure others would too.

Go for the big 333333! and good luck

(you Qld guys seem to like simple numbers/names, eg your beer! Which reminds me, I'm thirsty)

Cheers,

Rob

84 1.5 8v, but only 180 K km, still running in by your standards
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: The big 333333 Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
Main maintenance items (in the time I've had the car - bought it in 1998 with 115000 kms) have been: head gasket replacement one side at about 190000 kms; clutch replaced; front rotors; thermostat ( a couple of times); radiator; and other miscellaneous minor items. Engine can go about 10,000 kms without going below min on dipstick - I tend to hange oil and filter at about that distance. I'm certainly not gentle in my driving habits as tend to hit the rev limiter every so often. However, today concerned me as I was doing 120 kms/hr on way to Brisbane (from Sunshine coast) and I was overtaken by echos, hyundais and other crap. Maybe my speedo is not correct!
Best regards,

John H
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Design life of cars? Reply with quote

Some time ago I read an article that claimed the design life of modern cars was 2,000 hours of operation, whilst motorcycles were only 1,000 hours.

Since we are blessed (?) with Alfa control and the trip computer in our 33s, it is easy to monitor average speed over whatever period between resets of the computer. I have found that most of the time my average speed is surprisingly low - in the mid 30s km/h. So if the 2,000 hour design limit was correct, you'd expect to only be able to drive for some 60,000 to 70,000 km during the life of the car. And yet here we have John (and many others, I'm sure) knocking up over 300,000km in his 33.

Kinda says something for the reliability of Alfas, or else motoring journalists write up a lot of excrement sometimes! Actually, it's most likely the latter - another report I distinctly remember from 1984 when I bought my series 1 Alfa 33 was that petrol availability was going to become a serious problem within 12 to 15 years! With the intention of keeping my new car longer than 12 years, I was a bit worried that buying a new car was not such a good idea at the time (not that it stopped me buying). Guess you shouldn't believe everything you read! Confused

Cheers,

Rob
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think that it is more important for a car to operate thus making kms rather that having it garaged for long periods.

Mine has now 77000kms and i have had only one malfunction:the power steering rack was leaking and it was overhauled.
All the other involves mainly precaution and normal wear stuff like:
cooling system hoses, radiator, brakes overhaul (new brake pump, overhaul of master/slave clutch pump, new rear cylinders, front caliper overhaul), strut pan bearings, cv joints, thermostat (only once!),some door mouldings, starter motor service and some other of minor importance (just for not letting the time leave a stamp on her)

A friend of mine has an Alfa like mine purchased the same month with me. (5/1991) but it has around 300.000 kms (the counter no longer operates...)

The guy does not care about the car - it just goes as it goes.
He has replaced:
Water pump, shock absorbers, cv joints, but no engine work.
He claims that the motor has been weakened but I dont believe him as the ecu has problems, no easy cold start, the cat is damaged. Mainly due to neglect as a whole the car is a shame; BUT IT GOES ... and never lets him down!

So the fact is that these cars are robust, the operate reliably PROVIDED THAT they are serviced well. If not they deteriorate and then you cannot catch it fixing it. They are cars for true lovers of motor hobby.
If you are not then go for a japanese coffee mixer...

Regards from Greece,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: