Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Melted Accelerator cable...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Melted Accelerator cable... Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad
Hello all,

looking for a wise person who may have a clue about:

mounted my new motor... 1.5 carby.
plugged all the electricals in... when I connected the battery... my accelerator cable heated .. smoked... and now is seized...

any ideas????? before I throw in the towel and head for the electricial.

Rich
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds similar to this - a previous post

"Hi everbody,

today I did s.th very stupid: I removed the starter motor on my 33 1.7 i.e. ('92) without disconnecting the battery first. Of course the power cable of the starter motor touched the engine and as the mass cable from the battery to the engine was already disconnected the whole thing shortcircuited via the throttle cable which started to smell and glow red . I disconnected the battery about 30 sec later....

Of course the throttle cable is broken (doesn't move any more), but now to my question: Is it likely that more electric systems have been damaged by this shortcircuit? ( I'm thinking motor management etc...)
All fuses seem to be ok and i can still flash the lights....unfortunately I can't test the engine as the starter motor is dismantled due to a gearbox change.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

Patrick"
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Thanks for the leed... Reply with quote

Is Patrick you????, paddy/?

I cant mock this action, Ive almost blown myself up by not disconecting the battery first.

Wonder if the end result included other burned bits ( COMPUTER)???

Rich
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it likely that more electric systems have been damaged by this shortcircuit? ( I'm thinking motor management etc...)

Probably not.

When I was doing a head gasket change, I also didn't disconnect the battery - I thought: "why should I???". Then I was struggling with one of the head bolts. Finally after putting a lot of effort the bolt gave up. With a feeling of relief and a big smile on my face I put the wrench aside... just on the + of the battery and the car body SPARKS SPARKS SPARKS Shocked Embarassed After a few seconds I managed to kick the wrench off the battery terminal.
Fortunately it didn't have any conseqences for the electronics. The battery was flat, but after giving it a charge it's ok now.

Nevertheless I think I'll disconnect the battery next time...

Marcin
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the leed... Reply with quote

Dicko wrote:
Is Patrick you????, paddy/?

I cant mock this action, Ive almost blown myself up by not disconecting the battery first.

Wonder if the end result included other burned bits ( COMPUTER)???

Rich

No, I am not the 'Patrick' in that post - just a conicidence.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Most likely cause is that you did not connect up the earth from the engine to the bodyshell / battery.

All the best

Keith
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Painted bits Reply with quote

Thanks..

I took off the starter, its been rebuilt and painted, the block too. Maybe it wasnt making a good earth because of the two layers of paint. Ive filed the faces back, will try again soon. Had a short in the alternator too. As soon as I hooked up the battery. Could be the same problem.

I have a good low resistance between the Battery negative and the block earth.

Question. Both the terminals(spade and thread) on the solenoid seem to short to earth, I cant see how this is normal, but my old one does it too???
When I connect the two spade lines to the solenoid, a relay kick's over. Thaught this would be abnormal too???
Could be related to the solenoid on the carby link being set up wrong??? what does it do anyway???

Just trying to get out of a trip to the Auto-Elec- if anyone can help.

RIch
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Question. Both the terminals(spade and thread) on the solenoid seem to short to earth, I cant see how this is normal, but my old one does it too???

Between the two terminals of the solenoid is (presumably) a big coil of wire which won't have much resistance. If you earth one terminal and measure the resistance between the other terminal and earth, you'll get quite a small reading. I think.

It doesn't seem right that the throttle cable gets hot and starts smoking (as if it's carrying lots of current) if you connect the car battery without having the engine earthing straps connected. I thought a lot of current would only need to pass through the engine and back to the battery if you were trying to use the starter motor.. otherwise the battery would be always being run flat when the car was off.

Quote:
When I connect the two spade lines to the solenoid, a relay kick's over. Thaught this would be abnormal too???

Doesn't sound right.. To have the relay coil energised when the car's supposed to be turned off would drain the battery. If I were to disconnect then reconnect my car's battery I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hear any relays clicking. Have you tested the spade lines to see whether either of them are live? Has any of the electrics in your car been messed with, or have you just removed the engine and put a new one in?
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_nz wrote:

Doesn't sound right.. To have the relay coil energised when the car's supposed to be turned off would drain the battery. If I were to disconnect then reconnect my car's battery I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hear any relays clicking. Have you tested the spade lines to see whether either of them are live? Has any of the electrics in your car been messed with, or have you just removed the engine and put a new one in?

The central locking is activated every time you connect the battery ( i think ).
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BILL wrote:
Ben_nz wrote:

The central locking is activated every time you connect the battery ( i think ).

Yeah - I think so too, I always hear a 'clunk clunk'.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeap, the central locking is "becoming alive" when connecting the battery by hearing some clucking sounds but it is not triggered (at least at mine, early cat version, BOSCH electrical system).

However the workshop manual from our Merc C180 (1996 model) states that when connecting the battery always be sure not to have inside the car the keys becuase it is likely the central locking to be triggered and thus leaving you locked out Laughing
So better watch out when playing with this stuff.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Finally- silly me (ofcourse) Reply with quote

Thanks for all your interest, and the old Alfa electrics are not to blame. Infact there very impressive considering they still work, found the problem today.... didnt take much brain strain,
The Positive intended for the starter... was bolted to the block. The earth was bolted tto the starter.... they kinda look the same....

Stupidity cost me that accelerator cable. Always a learning experience for the novice. Thats my joke for the day.

Now the motor turns over on electrics. Sound way different to the stock one already.

Once again thanks for the interest.
Buck Bundy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the only way to learn!

Still, it could have been something way more expensive than a throttle cable!

Buck
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: