Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Imola not running right!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Imola not running right! Reply with quote

Hi,
I finally got the Imola back together yesterday, with new lifters, 2 near-new camshafts and the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and tested.

It now starts reasonably quickly, idles smoothly at 800rpm once it reaches temperature, and the tappets are quiet, but it has no power over 2000 rpm, backfires through the intake if I press the accelerator more than very gently, and I have to change down on hills to maintain speed and stop it backfiring.

It feels as if the ignition timing is too far advanced and/or the acceleration mixture is too weak, or has an air leak on the inlet system. The lower manifold gaskets were replaced with a smear of non setting cement on both sides, so I'm pretty sure they are OK, and the injectors have new "O"-rings, which I greased lightly before fitting. I renewed the small hoses to the manifold from the fuel pressure regulator and the oil filler neck (this one was broken off at the manifold end) and inspected all the other hoses. I just rechecked them all again.

I sort of suspect the throttle position sensor, as this also provides a signal of opening rate, but as an engineer I try to look for the simple things first, as being the most likely, and will look for wires which could have broken when they were moved. A fault code reader would probably speed up that task.

I imagine the backfiring could have ruined the MAP sensor by now.

The injection system is Weber Marelli IAW.

The battery was disconnected the whole time I worked on the car. I simply unplugged the sensors and put the components on a table while I worked on the engine. None were removed except the air temperature sensor, which I unscrewed, looked at, and replaced, and the lambda probe, which I had to unscrew to work on the exhaust. I brushed the soot off the outside of this with a brass wire brush.

This morning I washed the car (you never know) and took it for another short run. It seemed to run better until it got to working temperature, but the lack of power and backfiring is still the same.

I have hunted the Web for information or a source for the appropriate fault code reader, but mostly found references to zp's site, so maybe he can help?

Any ideas anyone????

I have to go to Spain today, daren't take the Imola, the VW has a clicking cv joint which I have to look at, and the inside of the Sprint is still stripped out waiting for rustworm treatment, so we're going in the (1973) Ro80. With twin SU carbs and a relatively simple Mazda ignition system it's probably the most reliable car I have, certainly the fastest and most comfortable. Pity it only does 25 mpg, which is good for a Ro80, but still expensive these days.

Though I still wonder if the Imola saves enough petrol to justify the parts and time it uses up.

Dick
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

Quote:
no power over 2000 rpm, backfires through the intake if I press the accelerator more than very gently

this seems to indicate lack of fuel delivery (lean mixture)
this might be due to an air leak at intake or incorrect fuel delivery.
did you notice an unusually hot exhaust manifold?

besides, are you absolutely positive that:
1°) the new camshafts are of the correct type
2°) engine timing is OK (beware as there are always multiple marks on the flywheel which can be mistaken for the TDC mark)

regards,
zp
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeNiTh-PbArM wrote:
hi,

this seems to indicate lack of fuel delivery (lean mixture)
this might be due to an air leak at intake or incorrect fuel delivery.
did you notice an unusually hot exhaust manifold?

I agree re. lean mixture, but I'm pretty sure there are no inlet leaks. I put a thin coat of silicone gasket cement on both sides of the lower manifold gaskets, and the injector "O"-rings are new.
I have also squirted thin oil around the gaskets and "O"-rings with the engine running, and no exhaust smoke was produced.
The exhaust manifold doesn't seem particularly hot, but I've only driven about 5km.

ZeNiTh-PbArM wrote:

besides, are you absolutely positive that:
1°) the new camshafts are of the correct type

Pretty sure. One camshaft (from Germany) is p/n 60612289, from a 145 Boxer 1600ie, the other (from UK) is also from a 145 Boxer 1600ie, but seller could not quote the p/n. This is the p/n I have for the Imola camshafts. The cams measure the same from base to peak and looked identical side by side.

ZeNiTh-PbArM wrote:

2°) engine timing is OK (beware as there are always multiple marks on the flywheel which can be mistaken for the TDC mark)

I put the flywheel on "T" mark with both camshaft marks aligned when I removed the heads, and also marked the pulley with chalk. I didn't move the crankshaft except to turn it 45º cw, as per the Alfa manual, while I turned each camwheel to its marks. The final check for tension was made with the crank in the "delta" position.

On checking the throttle position pot I found it has a bad spot at about 20º of travel. I have ordered a new one, which will at least eliminate that possibility.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've done nothing at all to the engine, but it runs better every day. Now it has more power than it had before the work and only a very occasional backfire on the overrun going downhill.
It seems the ECU is "re-learning" after the battery was reconnected.
gloom
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, most probably the EGR valve is either malfunctioning or not functioning at all.

According to manual the ECU(marreli) is not "re-learning" after the battery is reconnected but after 5 journeys that last more than 20 mins each and ,also, there is a stop interval of at least 2 minutes in between them!
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gloom,

As far as I can see there is no EGR valve on the Imola, unless it is really well hidden. I certainly didn't see one when the inlet manifold, exhaust system and heads were off.

Thinking back, I have probably just about made five journeys of more than 20 minutes each, the last one being yesterday. I remarked to my wife that it seemed even better.

Dick
gloom
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a hose from the manifold that leads directly to the EGR valve. The EGR is situated behind the front left wheel(it is hidden there, so the wheel has to be removed first, together with the cover). The EGR valve can't be reached otherwise.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gloom,

EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve, which feeds some exhaust gas back to the intake manifold. Not fitted on my Alfas.

The items in the wheel arch are the vapour canister and its purge valve. The canister collects fuel vapours and the valve allows them to be fed into the engine as decided by the ECU. I don't know the short term for this - VCPV?

Maybe something amiss with translation...

I have already checked for air leaks on this pipe - removing it and blanking off the manifold connection makes no difference to the running.

I intend to remove the wheel and cover and visually check the canister when I have the time. My time and my work space is occupied with my VW having its front suspension and drive shafts rebuilt at the moment.

Dick
gloom
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I have referred to the solenoid valve connected to the fuel vapor filter(canister).
The one end of oil vapor breather pipe is connected to the oil filler and then to the intake manifold. The other end of the pipe is where the plastic EGR valve is(it is located inside the corrugated sleeve).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: