Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

thinking of buying a 33 please help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benlg81
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: thinking of buying a 33 please help Reply with quote

Hi All

just in process of breaking my porsche 924 and have decided i like the idea of a 33 like the p4 16v and was wondering what they are like for a every day commuter (14 miles a day) track day car (very occasionally)

what are they like to work on?

is it easy to change a cambelt ect?

what is essential maintence

what shoudl i be lookng for when buying?
are alfas really as bad as the reputation i hope not!

Cheers

BEn
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa 33s are quite quirky to drive (pedals close together), they perform fantastically on a winding country roads when they are quiet and still give any modern hot hatch a run for there money On the down side the electrics can be a bit tempermental, the 16v engines are difficult to change cam belt's on but not impossible for the diyer,but they will bring more smile's than fustration and if serviced regularly and looked after they are as reliable as any other 80s,90s hot hatch. There are also very few now left on the roads of blighty so if you want one now is the time. Im sure someone will put their experience on this thread and I look forward to hearing your experiences if you find one, anyway Good luck you won't be disappointed.
benlg81
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the quick response mate,

when you say tempremental electrics what do we mean and are they easy to get around or are they critical?

dont mind trying to get hands dirty but iff the cambelt is a bit much how much will a garage charge?

any questions i should ask a seller to see the quality of the car being bought?
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good luck underneath, around the fuel filler cap and boot area also the spare wheel well for tin worm. Electrics are fine most issues normally come from loose earths or connectors, the series 3 seems to develop problems with relays but this is a rare occurrence and nothing that cars similar age wouldn't suffer. If you get to drive one then you will no doubt crunch the 2nd gear change, this is normal as finding one that has a synchromesh left is rare ( unless its been owned by some one elderly). But have fun driving it , ask the seller to take some back roads and give it a bit of welly. There also quite economical on fuel if driven sensibly but that's hard to do day in day out if you know what I mean.
benlg81
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gutted just got out bid on this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&item=330343800889
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winning chap used sniping software, looks like he got what he wanted for it. keep looking and pestering alex (33bits) he normally seems to hear about cars up for sale before anyone else!!.
33bits
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the plug there Bud, I have this black p4 that will be for sale soon but a few people are in line for that 1, also know of two of three other series 3 cars for sale. Always good to introduce 33's to new owners. Very Happy
33 16v (for sale)
156 JTS sportwagon
contact me for any 33 parts. Alex, 07896-327708
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum