Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Removing steering wheel

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wille
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Removing steering wheel Reply with quote

How to remove original steering wheel, please tell step-by-step!!
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carefully otherwise u break the boss like i did and u have to get a new however the new one does look alot nicer
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Slowly Slowly Catchy monkey Reply with quote

Ideally you need a three leg puller.

Once you have removed the nut and washer from the tapered spline the wheel slides onto, you attach two legs of the puller to the wheel. The third leg screws down onto the spline, which you continue turning until it prises the wheel off the spline.

If you haven't got a puller, it is going to be a sod, but you can make something to help, or GENTLY tap the wheel with a hammer or other convincing device, to knock it up the tapered spline.

To make something try this.
If you look at the wheel, it has some M5 looking threaded holes in the arms near the boss. You need two bits of M5 thread about 20cm long and screw into these two holes. You then need a thick bit of metal, with two 6mm holes cut in it corresponding to the two m5 threads sticking up. You then need a further hole dead centre between the two 6mm holes big enough to take a larger piece of M10 threading. On one end of the M10 threading, round it off to fit into the recess of the main spline. The other end needs some sort of handle, so a bit of welding could be good. You will also need to weld a M10 nut to the underside of the metal plate, or tap a thread in the M10 hole to suit the M10 threading. By attaching a nut on each M5 thread, and by turning the M10 thread the metal plate moves up relative to the end of the spline, pulling the M5 threads, which pulls your wheel. As this description is so shite, I have made a little diagram!!! Cool

Have fun.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

When doing this sort of stuff I like to leave the nut on about 1 turn or so, so that when the thing you are trying to pull does eventually come loose, you don't wind up wearing it.

Also when you are going to hit the shaft definitely have the nut on the end so that you don't damage the thread.
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Fair Comment Reply with quote

The nut idea is good, if you are using the hammer method, but with the puller method, it does come off nice and predictabley, i.e. no bloodied nose! Still if your nervous, or have a delicate face, the nut is a good precaution.

I did this recently to my P4, with the nice nardi wheel. I had a bit of a result in that I pull the horn cover bit off, and was faced with a lovely aluminium frame. I've polished it up, changed the wheel to boss rivets for hex headed bolts, and put an alfa badge on the horn switch. it looks the dogs, and cost me very very little!!! I will post pictures soon, along with some pics of my engine which is slowly coming together (so far block, rods, crank and pistons, still waiting for bearings/shells and heads, but by the end of August I should be on the road!!!)

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
alferr
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wigggle and bash it at the same time you are pulling to toward you it works eventually
wille
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I've been too busy but today I'm going to try again. Hope my nose stays in shape.. Confused
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the steering wheels from all three of our families 33s with a simple process as follows. After removing horn cover etc slaken retaining nut until flush with the end of the shaft , move the seat as far forward as poss and sitting inthe seat push up with your knees ashard as poss behind the rim,then using a large drift,(prefferable brass)and a heavy hammer give the end of the shaft several sharp thumps.You need as much pressure asyou can create with your legs and occasionally a fair bit of persistence. Incidentally,the steel boss is easily drilled and tapped to take sports wheels like Momos etc.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum