Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

cambelts whine & stuff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: cambelts whine & stuff Reply with quote

Hi
Just finished changing my water pump on my 1.7ie (nice job Evil or Very Mad ) and now my new cambelts or tensioners are whining like mad, has anyone got some cambelt/tensioner wisdom?
Also the revcounter reads about half RPM. Any idears?

Cheers.
fluffyduff
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were a little noisy when i changed belts & tensioners but they settled down quite quickly. Just to be on the safe side I think I'd check the tensioners and pump even though they're new to make sure the noise isn't down to them and that the belts aren't too tight.

Presuming everything checks out, keep an eye (or ear) on it and it should come right.

Cant offer any advice on the rpm though. Hate electrics Evil or Very Mad Laughing
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, belt whine means too much tension for the belts. Automatic tensioners on boxer are very poor at adjusting tension, this is due to the fact that 1° tightening the 17mm bolt on the tensioner arm causes said arm to rotate under the torque and overtighten the belt (8v engines) and 2° tensioners spring is designed to provide adequate tension for new belts, which will relax (read : expand) and release around 25% of the original tension over the first hundred miles. Tightening belts that have already stretched will give belt overtension, hence whine, will kill tensioner bearings, and will break sooner than scheduled (i've seen cases of broken belts after only 15 000 kms)
There is only one solution : dont trust tensioners and adjust tension by yourself, you can choose to be on the lower side of the tension scale for a daily runner (no high revs) or on the higher side for a racer but in that case you'll need to replace belts & tensioners often.
regards,
zp
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will let off a bit of tension and see how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: