Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

EJ20 question

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SurlyRich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: EJ20 question Reply with quote

Hi all,

After seeing that 33 for sale with the EJ20, I was curious to know if anyone else has put in an EJ20 or knows much about doing it. Which of the EJ20's actually fit? Are there kits to mount the engine? If you were going to put one in say a P4, what other areas of the car would need attention first?

The reason I ask this is because I have seen STi half cuts for sale for about $7,000AU. If it is possible to put in the engine and gearbox, we are talking about some very serious power potential for the P4, providing I guess that the driveline can take it.

Cheers
james
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the EJ20 is a scooby engine?

If so what a fast car that would make Very Happy

I would think you might have to change the sub frame to get the drive shafs to line up right. But there is a bit of room in the boot if that fails Wink

I would have done but i could not see any nice ones, so on the end i went for a 145 QV. Very happy with it Very Happy

But still looking for a nice cheep 33 cloverleaf.
Surlyrich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: EJ20 Reply with quote

Yes the EJ20 is out of the Subaru's and came in normal aspiration, turbo (WRX & STi) and twin turbo (B4). I know of people that have put in the EJ20 turbos into 33's, and I assume that there is no difference between the WRX and STi engines in terms of size (apart form the US STi which is 2.5L), hence the STi should fit into the 33.

We are talking however about increasing the power of the 33 (91' P4) from it's original 96Kw(I think) to 206Kw (stock STi), with potential increase to around the 500bhp mark.

Other areas of the 33 which would obviously need upgrading:

1) heavy duty clutch

2) strengthening of the driveline

3) maybe some double piston brembo calipers and bigger slotted discs.

4) use of the STi gearbox

5) exhaust to match the engine

Apart from these, where else do people think the P4 would suffer from the massive increase in power?

Cheers
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: EJ20 Reply with quote

few years ago, on old disc. list, there was post about it.
Someone did it, it was very expencive, and few weeks after it was for sale.

I don't think that AR33 chasis can take that much, whitout serious upgrades.
Instaling 4x4 form subaru would be smarter choice because P4 doesn't have real central diff. and its 4x4 would probably crash under 200kw
Same goes for brakes, which are barely good for 16v engine, ABS is no good either. (so it's probably cheaper to transfer brakes form subaru then find pro upgrade for 33)
So at the end you're left with complete Scooby, with AR33 modified chasis.
Is it worth it, I don't know.
Would it be fun to drive it, probably.
but it surly isn't AR.

Tino
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tino. An Alfa Romeo is one with a AR engine and parts. If you want to make a drag car using a AR 33 body go for it. Or make the 16v quicker turbo the existing engine with slight boost. The guy who turbod a 33 in Australia bough it I think 5months ago when I made a post about a Turbo 33 for sale. It was bought, then 5-6months later it was sold, hence this another post saying ' Alfa 33 with EJ20 for sale 'IT was FWD. Go figure Rolling Eyes As if a bloody FWD is going cope with that power. Ridiculous!
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
xris
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errol wrote:
As if a bloody FWD is going cope with that power. Ridiculous!

Please dont make broad quotes like this. Of cause a front wheel drive car can handle a turbo 2ltr. my brothers cordia had a 2ltr in it, he fully rebuilt it had a big t3 turbo, fmic, beat my 180sx. was pulling around 150-170kw@fw easily if not more.
xris
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw the guy that bought the ej20 powered alfa is coming from a cordia turbo (vr4, 2ltr). So torque steer hes used to Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: