Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 Not running correctly

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: 33 Not running correctly Reply with quote

Hi,

Great informative place! I hoping that someone can help me with a running problem I’ve got with my ’94 33 1700 8V.

The problem is more noticeable when the car has warmed up – up to about 2000rpm the car seems to run OK, but then when accelerating seems to lack power (like fuel starvation) and starts to sound like a 2CV (misfiring?). I’ve replaced the HT leads and plugs but this has made no difference. I’ve recently tried using Redex to try and clear any nasty deposits out of the engine and took the car for a run on the motorway – the car now runs much better at higher speeds (I took it up to 90 easily and it was still accelerating quickly) without any sort of misfire (although the exhaust is now blowing very slightly from one of the joins), although I still get the same problem lower down the rev range.

Another factor is a ticking noise which is almost silent at idle & low revs, but seems to get suddenly noisier at (you’ve guessed it!) 2000rpm which I’m guessing is either a worn cam/follower.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

1994 Alfa 33 1.7 8V
1990 Alfa 75 2.0 TS
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its the injectors that need ultrasonic (i think its called)cleaning .
And by the way whats the meaning of the colour in the injectors(i have three grey and one brown) Shocked
bw
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General tip - if you want to clean the injectors you can put injector cleaner in the fuel tank, but according to someone on alfa155.com this is mostly just kerosene (paraffin) anyway. I put 250ml of paraffin into a full tank of fuel every 3000 miles or so and it seems to keep things nice and smooth.

Probably costs about 20p for 250ml of paraffin, so it's gotta be worth a try!?
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gave Wynns injector cleaner a go when we first got our 33. The car run's superbly now.
Adrian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this injector cleaner that you put into the tank, does not move all those deposits from the tank to the injector?

I dont think this is a very good idea. Maybe try to clean the injectors with a sollution by closing the fuel circuit beetwen the tank and engine. The sollution is pomped to a pressure at which the fuel pressure regulator opens (2.8 bar I think). This way you clean ONLY your injectors and not your tank
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Ignition module? Reply with quote

Probably an ignorant comment, but we used to get shocking misfires when our ignition module was cracking up. We thought it was a fuel problem for a long time.

Two strokes against this possibility though: ours is a carbed motor, and the problem was temperature related rather than rev-related.
Matthew Kirkcaldie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARNA? You bastard!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is the lambda probe OK? If not the car will run on default settings and drink petrol while not having much go. We had this problem with a car but it only became apparent after the battery was disconnected.

To clean the injectors we too them off the car and took them into a local place. They are quite easy to remove, just remember the system is full of preasurised fuel.

As to the Alfa Arna, you are most of the way to the next level Laughing

All the best

Keith
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BILL wrote:
And by the way whats the meaning of the colour in the injectors(i have three grey and one brown) Shocked

Normally Bosch injectors seem to be colour coded for their flow rate

All the best

Keith
ak8635
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
the last 2 days the car is really going slow (a lupo passed me! Crying or Very sad )
after 2000rpm it really accelerates slowly , then it picks up a bit,
and then after 3500 same old stuff till 4000.

it feels like the car is not going ( i really have to pressure it to accelerate, and believe me it does not sound nice.. it is like bleeding the car to death)..
i can go upto 100mph (no probs with that, but in lower speed-gear the car is reluctant to accelerate)..

on saturday i used a new petrol station (bloody texaco!).
Do you think this could be the reason?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: