Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Fuel pump and relays.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
16v campervan
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump and relays. Reply with quote

As you may have read I was having trouble getting the fuel pump to run on my campervan conversion. Wiring seemed correct and relays seemed fine put the fuel pump wouldn't energise when the ignition was switched on. Turned out to be a bit of a school boy error on my behalf. Having spent a fair amount of time mucking about with this (embarassed to say how long) and with Paul's kind help and spare relays, ECU etc we were puzzled until we tried his car and shock horror it doesn't power up until you actually crank the engine over. So it was working all the time. D'oh! Embarassed Now every other fuel injection car I've driven you can hear the pump pressurize the system as you turn the key on. Having not had an actual whole 33 myself I didn't know this wasn't the case on the Alfa........ Moral of the story........ Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups. Thanks for all your help and patience Paul.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds when the key is turned on. I assumed this is to pressure up the system for quicker starting. (It doesn't start quickly tho' but I think that's because of poor compression)

My VW has almost the same system, pump also runs for a couple of seconds, but this engine starts immediately.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thought it was quite funny Laughing , but glad you got it sorted. Have found that other air inlet stuff you wanted, give us a ring sometime.
16v campervan
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you thoughts Dick. That is what I would have expected. Its possiple that I had pressurized the pump by manually closing the contacts on the relay and then once pressurized it holds pressure long enough to not need to run for a couple of seconds on the next start up. Whilst doing this I must have also cured the wiring problem but not realized it. Initially when I got the loom it had the relay containing the diode in the wrong place and that was probably the cure.

Hi Paul, great news, is tues afternoon a possible to collect air box. Cheers, Tony.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, free till 5pm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: