Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Dellorto detective?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Dellorto detective? Reply with quote

Can anyone help? Carbed 1.7 with Dellorto DRLA 40s, which were apparently refurbished last year and it runs beautifully except at tickover (and it’s not a blocked idle jet). Often it hangs at 1500-2000 when hot and slowly heads down to a very lumpy 900. The butterflies seem fine and there’s nothing sticking – the butterflies are closing. I used a colourtune kit on each of the plugs and on the cylinder nearest the driver I turn out the mixture screw and it just will not run rich like the others do. Fault is given as blocked idle jet, (which it is not) or idle air bleed screw not screwed home firmly. If that is the screw that sticks out above the mixture screw, it IS screwed home. I’m a bit lost and it’s embarrassing having a nice looking 33, which over revs at standstill and then slowly sounds like a VW Beetle at tickover. Embarassed Would an air leak somewhere do this? Question
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

A guess would be an air leak in the gasket sandwich below the carb on that choke.

Went to SAD yesterday in green metallic 33 16v. Was only there between 12.15pm and 2pm, and couldn't find any of the 33 forum posse Sad Saw your white s2 laden with parts, but none of the 8- 10 33s i saw had any owners loitering around them.

On the a41 i blasted past a 156, s4 spider and a 147 Twisted Evil Couldn't get near an SZ that looked like it was having a joust with an Aston DB9. Ibacked off at 110 incase the mrs woke up!

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've given me a ring on my mobile number written in the window. We were there in the field somewhere. Shame to miss you. Bobbber's GTV has a very pretty interior.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul... thanx doode! I did look out for your 33 John.... but didn't see it!

Bob
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my carbs reconditioned, one reason for doing so was air leaks in the bearings which support the throttle butterflies. Apparently fuel washes the grease out of these which is why they wear and leak air. The carb guy was able to feel the leaks with the engine running.
Although strangely the car's idle was 'acceptable' both before and after the recondition!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: