Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

problems fiting filters to carbs...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87sprint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: problems fiting filters to carbs... Reply with quote

hi guys - what solutions have people used to fit aftermarket filters to their carbs? (36 idf webers) the mainprobelm is that the throttle cable interfers with the base plate of the filter (there the oval VW style ones) asside from gettin a spacer plate made up are thyre any easier chaeper solutions?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one Shocked
tinworm
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done, although not elegantly. If you mark your filter where the choke cable contacts (only one gives trouble) and then file away the filter to get clearance you are motoring.
The filter element sits inside of where you file away the metal so no air gets past to cause trouble, although on my car I also needed to slot the bracket holding the cable a little to get more clearance too. I don't think the throttle touches too badly but if you use a screwdriver and prise the lever away it also clears, not by much but enough Cool
I also thought of making up a couple of spacer plates but scratched that idea after seeing how high the filters were going to end up on my Sud, too high to space, hence the prising, filing and grinding.
After all this you wouldn't know it had been done as you can't even see it afterwards.... well, not unless someone bends over looking in behind the carb and then they're in a pretty good position for a swift boot Twisted Evil
Also bear in mind you will need to disassemble the carb float bowl tops for drilling and tapping to allow for hold down screws or studs, the position is already pre-marked for that too.

Cheers,... Col.
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 QV
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum