Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Gear linkage

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
16v_sportwagon
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Gear linkage Reply with quote

I was out in the car this afternoon and the gear lever has gone all flobbly. I can't select gears or change out of 3rd that it seems to be currently stuck in Crying or Very sad

I've pulled up the gaiter round the gear stick and there is a bar going forwards that seems loose and unconnected to anything at it's front end so I'm assuming it is a linkage problem rather than internal.

Does anyone know what the front end of this should connect to? Am I likely to be able to reconnect it without removing the gearbox?

Matthew

GLASS Lancashire Group
Bury Automobile Club
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The linkage is under the car.

Bob
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually - I wonder if anyone has any ideas on a better design for connecting the linkage???

The bar drops through the hole - and then is clipped on... but this seems to periodically come off, leaving me stranded!!! Shocked

I've heard the metal is too tough to drill too.... any ideas?

Thanks!

Rob
16v_sportwagon
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called in at a local alfa breakers toady and had a look at a box out of a car. Hopefully it is just the clip that has come off mine, allowing the linkage bar to come off.

At least I know what to look for under the car now, I might try and drill it for a split pin instead.

Matthew

GLASS Lancashire Group
Bury Automobile Club
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I BELIEVE THE SPLIT PIN METHOD IS POSSIBLE AND HAS BEEN DONE.
I THINK ITS BEEN COVERED IN PREVIOUS POSTS,JUST A CASE OF FINDING IT.
NEVER EVER HAD IT HAPPEN TO ME...JUST LUCKY I GUESS
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is just a circlip that holds the linkage together. Inevitably the circlip pops out.

It is an improvement to drill a hold and use a split pin instead of the circlip. However it is a pig to drill.

All the best

Keith
16v_sportwagon
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not road tested it yet, but this afternoon I've had the linkage bar off and drilled it to take a split pin. Wasn't too difficult to do apart from snapping the first drill in the hole Rolling Eyes Sad and having to get that out before I could continue.

For anyone that needs to do this in the future, I've put a 2.5mm hole through just above the circlip groove which just about gives space for a washer above the split pin.

Matthew

GLASS Lancashire Group
Bury Automobile Club
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my linkage clip disappear in the middle of France, on the Motorway, at night, in a rainstorm. (normal for a 33) The only lucky bit was that I had just pulled into a rest area, but no services.
I spent 3 hours lying in the mud underneath trying to get it back together, but it fell off again twice. Finally stuck it in 3rd. and drove 50 km or so to the next big town.
Alfa dealer there was reluctant to do anything (no parts) but after much pleading agreed to try. He fixed it once, but it fell off again.
Finally I told him to tack weld a washer on the rod end (old oilfield trick). He was horrified, but did it. Took 5 minutes.
That was 2 years ago, and no problems since. I'll worry about a more sophisticated fix if I ever take the gearbox or engine out.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
16v_sportwagon
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:

Finally I told him to tack weld a washer on the rod end (old oilfield trick). He was horrified, but did it. Took 5 minutes.
That was 2 years ago, and no problems since. I'll worry about a more sophisticated fix if I ever take the gearbox or engine out.

That was my plan B had I not managed to get the broken piece of drill bit out.

Matthew

GLASS Lancashire Group
Bury Automobile Club
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

got a pal who drove around 400kms of mountain roads with the gearbox stuck in 3rd gear due to linkage failure...
i have myself a spare clip and washer in the glovebox in case it fails...happened once, replaced the clip on the roadside, and resumed my trip!

best regards,
zp

bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - that photo is from the ePer Alfa parts catalogue.

There's a bloke in Milan probably order picking the parts for me right now!!!! LOL!

Bob
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to order loads (minumum order) of these clips!!!! Anyone want one - pm me and I'll stick it in the post!!!!

Can't say fairer than that!

Bob
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a remark from my own experiance, they are almost one time only clips. If you put them on from first try they'll hold nicely until you decide to take them off.
Once you take them off it is best to fit in new one, fitting used ones in my cases provided only to be few days to one month solution, before thing decided to fall off.
You can deform it a little when puting back used one, but it worked for me only 1 out of 6-7 times Smile
I also have 2 brand new spare ones with me in glove compartent, cause you never know when you might need it.
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I read this post yesterday as i had some experience of this problem with my previous 33, but as many of you had posted replies covering the solution i didn't say anything.
With no word of a lie i left work at 10pm last night, went to change gear and found the only use for my gearstick was stirring porridge Shocked spooky. Luckily it was stuck in third and at that time of night the roads were clear.
I've fixed it this morning but now i feel uneasy reading this section!!!!
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol it's normal part of Alfa Virus, these days it spreads through internet also Smile
Happened to me on 2 occasions, 2nd problem was speedo afer 4years of nicely serving me Sad.
Probably has more to do with lifespan od AR parts then virus Smile
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine broke friday lunchtime!!!! We pushed it up on ramps - 'clipped' on a monkey wrench to the stud - and drove home.

Bob
zo.andri@neuf.fr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Order Clips Reply with quote

bobbber wrote:
I've had to order loads (minumum order) of these clips!!!! Anyone want one - pm me and I'll stick it in the post!!!!

Can't say fairer than that!

Bob

Hello Bob,

I'm in France and want one of those clips if still available. Otherwise, could you tell me where to order from (on the net) ?

Thanks

Zo
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: