Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Hatchback doesn't open properly

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Hatchback doesn't open properly Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have a problem opening the hatchback on my car. It unlocks ok when I pull on the lever next to the drivers seat but when I release the lever it locks again. I can get around it by pulling up on the lever then jamming something underneath it while nipping round the back of the car and opening the door but it would be nice if it worked properly Rolling Eyes
Does anyone know what it is that is supposed to make the door pop open, is it just the pressure from the rubber seal?
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rubbish... mine has always been rubbish!

It needs :
    New seal rubber

New rubber 'chocks'

New gas struts

I decided it wasn't worth it!

Pull the seatbelt round the lever!

Bob
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to keep a chunk of wood next to the lever to wedge it in place for when the other half wasn't around to run round and open the boot!

In the end i fitted a good 2nd hand seal and it now works fine.

One fix that did work for a bit was to push tubing of screenwash circuit size into the rubber seal either side of the lock catch. This did work for a while.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try adjusting the catch inwards slightly ie towards the wheel well which might put a bit more pressure on the rubber seal and the tailgate
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my car's boot latch was removed during rust repair work, it was a real pain to get it adjusted right again.

On a Series 2 car it's a delicate balance. The cable must be kept tight by running through the bumper mount. And yes, the rubber seal must provide the force to move the hook on the boot lid far enough away from the latch that it won't re-close when you release the lever.

I found the best way to get it right was to climb into the closed boot through a back door, and set the latch position from there. You can see where it needs to be positioned so that the boot closes without too much force, but is still under tension so the latch pops open correctly.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorts of visions of us lot with feet stuck out the windows!!!!
Laughing
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to give them a try at the next weekend routine maintenance interval!

I'm working for a while in America at the moment by the way, not a 33 in sight! Just seen a couple of Spiders but that's it on the Alfa front. Mind you, seeing the state of the roads I don't think a 33 would have lasted very long over here......

cheers,

Tim
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...

Here's what I 've done. The boot-door holds the latch that locks down the boot-lock held there with two big bolts....right???

You find some kind of a rubber ring at least 3-4 cm thick that can go over and around the bolt's heads on the one or both bolts. Use a bit of silicone or some kind of a strong fixative to stick the rings to the metal. I was lucky enough to find a rubber ring that was a perfect fit over the bolt and I stuck it there with some super-glue.

As the door closes these rubber rings will sit on that little piece of metal shelve through which the boot-lock is sitting. In that way you can the back pressure needed so that the door unlocks as it used to do before.

The other option mentioned above is to change the rubber seal around the boot as mentioned before.

Good luck Cool
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim - I don't think the Alfa 33 was ever sold in America, Americans couldn't fit in it!
I think America is one of those countries like Australia where Alfa have pulled out of the market for a period, thus you'll never see certain Alfa models in those countries.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My electric window packed up for a while..... was murder in the McDonalds drivethru...

Yanks would never want to compromise that experience!

Bob
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

American market Alfas were models mainly till the late 80's.

Models like Giulietta Spider , Giulia, GT Veloce, Alfetta, GTV6, 75 (Milano), 164, and Spider are the models that now come to my mind.

All of them have engines more than 2000cc and mostly running on fuel injection.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Gritsop. Alfa would probably not have had enough money to get the 33 through the stricter emissions controls in the US, especially California. Shame though, we could have had a source of rust free bodies and panels Sad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: