Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

P4 problems

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DS (alfavrigin)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: P4 problems Reply with quote

I picked up my first ever Alfa on Saturday, its a 92 P4, but it has a few niggling problems Can any one help. I apologise in advance as I realise some of these problems may have already been covered, but I have had a search through the threads and dont really see anything similar.

1 - I get a 'knock' from the front end when I take my foot off the gas just a single 'knock' I think its from somewhere under my feet.

2 - When held on a constant throttle of around 2500rpm I'm getting a constant knocking.

3 - If I push the clutch in so that the engine is no longer under load I get a constant knocking, say when I'm coming up to a junction or roudabout. I then went to a bit of road, drove the car up to around 30 - 40 mph pushed the clutch in and freewheeled for a large distance, the knock was there the whole time till I let the clutch out again.

4 - The speedo I think must have a loose connection on my way home, whenever I went over a bump the needle started to waggle, by the time I got home the needle wasnt moving at all, it now flutters occasionally, usually when I hit a bump in the road. I've been told it could just be the earth either loose or dirty. Is this correct, if so where is it?

5 - The petrol gauge doesnt work. The light works when its time to fill up but the needle doesnt register unless you fill it right up but even then it only shows half full. Any ideas what this could be?

6 - I filled up on Sat evening. When I went out in it on Sunday I drove for about 20 minutes parked, came back about 10 minutes later and started driving again, the minute I started her up there was a really strong smell of petrol, this then continued to get stronger for the next 30 - 45 minutes of driving. During this time I was under the car, front and back, but I could see no signs of leakage or even smell any fuel from the outside. There were no signs or smells under the bonnet either, the smell was ONLY IN the car. I have been told that its a common alfa problem if its filled too full with fuel that it can smell the interior for a while, is this correct? If not does anyone have any ideas.

Are all my knocking problems related? The car has the 4x4 system disabled and so its purely 2wd at the moment, could the knocking be something to do with this?

Thanks in advance

Scott
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DS,
Congrats on becoming P4 owner.

1. Could be gearbox mount.
2. Is it same knocking like 1.?
4. Here are few posts about speedo trouble:
http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1569&highlight=speedo
http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1556&highlight=speedo
http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1661&highlight=speedo
5. Stuck fuel float sender unit?
6. At the back of the car inside boot, on the side where is fuel filler there is fuel vapour condenser bottle and breather valve, if you start to have that kind of problems with it every time you fill, you might want to look at it.
DS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips I'll check these out and get back to you. In answer to your question yes the knocking noises are all the same

Scott
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off until monday, but there are many P4 owners here.
About knocking, it is best to look under car, take a look at prop shaft and see if there is any polished metal/new scratch marks.
Check rubber mounts: gearbox, 1st and 2nd prop shaft/visco coupling mounts.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: