Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Is this Alfa for sale a good deal or not?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Is this Alfa for sale a good deal or not? Reply with quote

Check out this modified Australian 33 I am thinking of buying:

www.alfaromeo33.cjb.net

My worries are that it is heavily modified, has "boy racer" seats and the red colour is turning pink it seems, other than that it sounds cheap for a series 3 in Australia. (he has come down to $5700 in newspapers, series 3 usually is $7-8K here).
Let me know what you think!
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to see the car to inspect it for rust, take it for a test drive to check the gearbox, listen to the engine, check for funny idling problems etc.

About it being modified - it's cheaper to buy a modified car than do it yourself! If you don't like the seats or the audio equipment, sell them. The reconditioned engine has to be a bonus.

The pink colour may just be caused by the camera, because all the colours in the photos are a bit faded. I used to have a red car and if it was in the sun, it would look orange in all photos I took with my digital camera.

Have you owned or driven an Alfa 33 before?
guest (joninaustralia)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have own a 1987 33 1.5 at the moment - looking to upgrade to a fuel injection 1.7 1989 series 2 or 1990's series 3. The series 3 seem to have very vague steering at speed which is a bit of a worry. Yes, it could be the camera I reckon, thanks for the idea.
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

92.2 BHP at the wheels sounds a little low to me. Confused

I know that the 1.7 16v engine delivers 132 BHP, is there really that much power loss through the transmission?

Not too many km's - cambelts (and rollers) should have been changed at 120,000 (60k interval) - you should check that too. Interesting that it has been reconditioned at such a low mileage!

Bodywork and wheels look in good condition, if it is a bit pink you can always lightly cut it back with T-cut and use coloured wax afterwards to get the colour back. Our 33 was very very pink indeed when we first got it (completely matt), and now its glossy Alfa red.

What is that tape around the passenger side headlight?
GaryUK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy you poor Aussies 6K bucks for a 33 THREE THOUSAND POUNDS FOR A 33 MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not three thousand pounds, more like two thousand four hundred at the rate of AU$1 = 40p or thereabout. But yes, still vastly overpriced! OTOH, there is much less of a problem with rust, usually.

But even with the increased petrol prices, we are paying 'only' about $1.00 per litre (that's 40p per litre), so I guess we have to be thankful for summit!

Cheers,

Rob
Laki
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused .....Where are the fog lamps...I belive all 16V had them...I am 95% sure it was chrased in fornt area....
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laki wrote:
Confused .....Where are the fog lamps...I belive all 16V had them...I am 95% sure it was chrased in fornt area....

I think I would agree with you there. Not only are the fog lights missing, but the bonnet doesn't fit very well either. Note how the LHS light has red tape around it. I actually think that the front bumper is a new part, as the colour doesn't match the rest of the body.

It should be easy to check if the car has had frontal damage by looking under the bonnet.

PS: Cheers for your post Gary, thread width is much better now... Mad
GaryUK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr sorry my shock caused the over use of exclamation marks Embarassed Embarassed
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: I don't think it is all that... Reply with quote

Not only does the body work look wrong, as previously posted, the power figure is naff.

I had a fairly standard (blueprinted) 8V S2 1.7, with filters, trumpets, back box etc, which had 89BHP at the wheels, and he is claiming 93 from a chipped/exhausted 16V. Seems low for all the hype being claimed about it.

If it smells like a wrong 'un, probably is. And anybody who uses red electrical tape as a fashion accesory for there car needs avoiding. Either that or it is sealing the broken edges of the (leaking?) headlights.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Dnavey
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: fog lights Reply with quote

Hey there
To my knowledge the aussie delivered 16v 33s didnt come with fog lights as standard..all the ones ive seen are minus fog lights as is mine ;(

around 400 aussie dollers to buy some tho...bit too expensive considering the amount of fog we get here (maybe 3 -5 times a year )

Davide
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum