Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

power steering rack

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: power steering rack Reply with quote

Hi,
I need to replace the rubber covers on a power steering rack fitted to a 1.5ie series 3. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this? Does the unit need to stripped down and how is this done?
Thanks
DH
Keith - Not logged on

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You do need to strip the rack down, and it is a job that is quite difficult to do without wrecking the seals in the rack (which you will only find out about when you put it back together). Best just to get an exchange reconditioned rack.

By the way, getting the rack out is difficult.

All the best

Keith
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

or you can find the local ZF representative and have have it serviced there (as I did 3 years ago).

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Keith says, it's difficult to get out. I removed LH wheel and strut, and it came out through the large hole under the wing. Removing the splined joint to the steering column was also a b*gg*r. There is a rubber moulding around this joint which should not be removed. I also had to remove all inlet parts for access to the bolts for the track rods.

Getting it out through the hole is a chinese puzzle, you have to turn it just the right way, not easy to describe.

Considering all the work involved to remove and replace it, part exchanging or rebuilding the rack is highly recommended.

I found the best price to rebuild my VW rack was www.power-steering.co.uk, who rebuild or exchange any rack. I paid £125 compared with €1000+ from VW for exchange unit, so it was cheaper even with the shipping costs. Also the VW rack is much more difficult than the Alfa.

I bought seal kit and gaiters, about £55 with carriage to France, from them for my Alfa 33 rack, which I replaced myself, but I did not dismantle the control valve, which I believe has to be adjusted on a test stand.

The power end is not too easy to repair, especially the seal in the middle of the cylinder, and it's easy to do permanent damage without factory tools. I finally phoned ZF in UK for advice on this www.zf-group.co.uk who were really helpful. I don't think they would normally give lessons by phone, but took pity on my situation.

The locking rings holding the cylinder need a good pin spanner to remove. Luckily the Alfa ones came undone easily, whereas the VW ones were so tight (they are staked in) that I broke the pins off the spanner.

I only did it myself to avoid shipping costs between here and UK, don't think I would do it if I were in UK.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: