Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

stick stuck in gear 1..

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: stick stuck in gear 1.. Reply with quote

hello people,
my car seems to be stuck in gear one...my stick snapped off a few days ago but i fixed it now...i changed the bush and put a whole new one...but it still doesn budge from 1st gear....and its really funnily in first gear the stick itself seems like its in 2nd...and i can move it alot around but nothing happens to the gear..so what can it be...can the main selector rod be somehoe busted or can the fault be in the gear stick...i have to admit i have been driving and pushing the gear stick quite heavily lately...and a few mins before my gear blocked i took out the gear without pressing clutch... i really dont know what it can be...so any help will b grateful.
loui
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the stick from underneath.
Theres a rod from the stick to the gear box selector
Perhaps the washer and clip have come off.
Theres a post further down the maintenace page Gear linkage parts
http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1274&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really doubt it could be that, because what would be the chance that the rod would snap off at the same time the bush did also???But i'll have a look...the only problem is that doesn't that metal rod go towards the gearbox and disapear there???would this mean i'd have to take the whole gearbox away if i'd want to fix it??
alfa-alex
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gear lever rod goes down and attaches to the linkage using a circlip. this can be accessed from under the car without too much hassle... the circlip can come off sometimes...i removed the rod from mine the first time i lost the circlip. drilled a small hole below where the circlip fits and put a bolt through it with a washer and it works a treat in those "mash a gear moments"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok..but is there a chance something else has happened...because my first gear works perfectly...the only problem is that the lever cannot be moved...i went under the car and i saw where the selector rod is connected too...it seems like a clear shiny metal tube..antiher thing that really startled me was the fact that the whole are under the gearbox was very very oily and greasy...meaning that i might have been loosing gear oil from somewhere...could this be another reason for my gear 1 getting stuck???I jsut dont understand why my car still keeps on moving as if its on gear one...what other possible reasons except the selector rod being apart from the seal?(which btw seemed perfectly ok from the outside, i havent taken the gearbox compeltely off jsut looket at it from beneath the car)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 33 1.7 16V is covered in oil underneath...no big deal...(if it aint broke dont fix it) are u sure that u have it in first?!? it is possible as i rememeber to get it in to the wrong gear...other than that im stumped! but thats not hard!
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its in first im sure of that...i know my car that well...im just worried about opening the gear box since i really have no idea about the inside of the gear box...i mean the i can somewhat make something out of the 33manual pics but still i really dont want to play around with it...the gear lever i can fix...bit if the prob is something more complex like a broken syncro ring or broken fork then that goes beyond my DIY skills.
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can 't you disangage the first gear by pulling the knob with force ?Or with a hammer ?Are you sure your clutch is ok ?
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Pimp_Dudu, I have some images of the inside of the gearbox on: http://wizzard.dyndns.dk/gearbox.htm.
If you drain the gearbox-oil from the nut in the bottom plate, and then remove the plate, you should at least be able to take a peek inside. If it's a broken synchronizing ring, or selector fork, you should be able to tell.
You can do this while the gearbox is still attached to the engine, just leave it in place.
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok..so i'd have to work underneath the car...right...i jsut really dont udnerstand even what the synchro rings look like OR what fault to look for...from what i have seen the selector rod is perfectly attached to the washer and joint..now what i dont understand is why the gear wont move...if the syncro ring would b broken could my car still operate perfectly on 1st gear as it is doing right now? and btw, what i forgot to say is that my gear stick is in a very unusual place, it seems as if its in the palce for 2nd gear but, but i cant really move it anywhere else, i cant move it up down or anywhere, i move it a bit but nothing happens. I recently changed the bush, so could the problem be from there???even though i changed it perfectly (at least i think so).
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the gearstick is properly attached to the selector rod but neither will move, and the clutch works fine, the problem might be inside the gearbox...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm explains some of the parts in a gearbox (although you have to go through the introductory pages). Removing and fixing a gearbox sounds much too tricky for me though..
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.
Pimp_dudu, you can see the synchronizing rings here:http://wizzard.dyndns.dk/alfa/gearbox_dump/IMG_9572.jpg
On this image, 3rd gear is engaged. Note the synchronizing ring on the 4th gear (to the right of my finger, the light-grey ring). The synchros of gears 1 and 2 can also be seen (to the left).
The complete assembly, with selector forks, rods and hubs, can be seen here: http://wizzard.dyndns.dk/alfa/gearbox_dump/IMG_9577.jpg
Edit: Fixed incorrect url.

Last edited by Wizz on Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Quest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Synchro Reply with quote

Hi

I blew 2nd gear synchro, the box worked 1st,3rd and 4th gears. When opened the bottom, 2nd gear synchro ring was clearly visible hanging on axle between gears.
When You open the bottom, check the oil for metal particles. You probably find some circular pieces.

Check the shifting mechanism for free movement first, if Your bush installation may be gone wrong.

In Finland You can find a new imported gearbox from Felke Oy, price about 500e.

Hope this helps

TimoJ
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pimp_dudu, you can see the synchronizing rings here:http://wizzard.dyndns.dk/alfa/gearbox_dump/IMG_9569.jpg
On this image, 3rd gear is engaged. Note the synchronizing ring on the 4th gear (to the right of my finger, the light-grey ring). The synchros of gears 1 and 2 can also be seen (to the left).

Are you sure you got that link right, Wiz? Looks like the centre shaft thingy of the gearbox standing on its end. No human fingers in the photo.
Your photos are very large, so I can't be bothered looking through every one to find the one you're referring to. Razz
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, you are right Ben, thanks.
Link is corrected.
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys i got it fixed....the problem wasn't as serious as i thought...the selector rod had somehow managed to rotate a bit, thus also rotating the rod that goes into the gearbox...so what i did was open the gearbox and adjust the rod...anyways got it to work..and im happy an overjoyed SPECIAL THANKS TO WIZZ FOR THE PICS Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Glad to hear that you got it working again. =)
Also glad that my pictures could be of some help. ^_^
paddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pimp_Dudu wrote:
hi guys i got it fixed....the problem wasn't as serious as i thought...the selector rod had somehow managed to rotate a bit, thus also rotating the rod that goes into the gearbox...so what i did was open the gearbox and adjust the rod...anyways got it to work..and im happy an overjoyed SPECIAL THANKS TO WIZZ FOR THE PICS Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Is it sealed properly?
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is what sealed properly? The rod i believe is sealed pretty properly since i did some heavy shifting yesterday and it seemed good as new. I actually traced WIZZ's pic and saw that the spring on my rod had just rotated, thus all i néeded to do was rotate it back to its old place. Frankly i didn't even have to open the gearbox since everything was pretty simple. But coming back to your question i think the rod is pretty secure.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: