Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

rwd thoughts

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanciachris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: rwd thoughts Reply with quote

Im looking at getting a marcos atm, thought about it couple of years ago and have regretted not doing it then. Whilst it wouldnt be an immediate project, was thinking about mounting a 16v 33 engine in one. The marcos im looking at uses ford running gear (capri v6 and diff).

So, anyone know about how you would go about mating the boxer to the diff? would life be any easier if stealing a diff from a 75?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: why not the V6 Reply with quote

Wouldn't you be better off with the 75 V6?

I know the Ford V6 isn't up to much, but the Alfa V6 would seem the natural choice.

There would be problems caused by the 75 having a rear gearbox, but I would have thought that that was easier than trying to mate a FWD boxer to a capri gearbox.

Still, I guess the boxer is much lighter, and with not much less in the power department compared to the Ford lump.

Buck
lanciachris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the boxer noise Smile plus the lower centre of gravity. do you think the gear linkage would be horrendous leaving a massively vague shift?

picked up a high mileage but sound 16v 33 engine on ebay yesterday - plan is for it to go into a mates camper van. £36... not bad Smile
Adam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: lancia chris Reply with quote

hello

I am putting a 16v in my beach buggy at present.

Are you using a GBE adaptor kit? Have you done anything to it yet. Hopefully we may be able to help each other during the build if you have any questions or I have any questions. Alfa definetely the best choice, I had never been in one before and after taking the donor car outfor a drive I was gobsmacked, cant wait for Alfa powered buggy.

Thanks.

Ive heard of a guy near bristol doing a bus conversion aswell.
lanciachris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is for my friends bus, so hes been doing the research on it, i just happened to come across the engine cheap and helped a bit with restoring the bus. hes been looking into the details but the basic plan so far is to use a 2l van gearbox with an adapter plate and a horizontally mounted rad with fans behind it for cooling. only problem is going from marginal to no cabin heating Smile
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm.... doesn't the 75 use a transaxle????
loui
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Vw Camper Reply with quote

It might be worth looking at the VW camper sites.
Have a friend in the camper club and one of their members has a 1.7 boxer engine fitted in an old VW camper. Haven't seen him for some time.

He was telling me about putting the engine being put into the van.
Don't know if the unit was put in complete, or a different box used.
All I remember was the van was lowered, the suspension stiffened and the brakes, upgraded to cope with the extra power.
lanciachris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowering the camper and stiffening the suspension is not something we are going to be doing - the weight of the engine is similar enough, and a camper simply isnt going to handle no matter what you do to it. And even if it did, youd just end up with cupboard doors flying open and plates flying everywhere, so the interior would be a whole new uprating project Smile

Im confident that the alfa boxer and the vw boxer arent that different in weight. Uprated brakes might be useful though.

The goal of the project is not to create a racing camper, its to create a wicked sounding camper that will be good for taking the p155 out of barrys with Smile

Any opinions on appearance changes? at the moment the camper looks stock, has a single quiet pack exhaust (which is noticeable but not loud) and a twin carb conversion. Do you think stick with a single exit quietish exhaust or make twin exit? I think making twin exit will be cheaper, as less joins in the pipework.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of porsche flat 6 conversions for campers ....mmmmm! Mad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum