Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Tyre choise

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Tyre choise Reply with quote

Hi you all,

I've had an offer for some tyres in 195/50 R15 all between 60 and 70€ all in. But I have a hard time choosing which ones I should take.
The choises are:
- GoodYear Eagle F1
- Bridgestone Potenza RE720
- Bridgestone Potenza SO3
- Pirelli P7000
- Yokohama AVS Sport

I've had the previous model of the goodyear F1's before and was very very pleased with them, superb in dry, even more superb in wet (don't know if the stiff tyre side, the EMT system, made a big difference)

Anybody with some experience in these tires? I don't really minde short life range. Good dry and wet grip are first things I care about.

Regards!

Paul D.

1.7 16V QV '93
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The end of December was the time I made a Xmas gift to my Alfa by placing 4 new tyres.

I put michelin energy E3B (165 /70 R13) manufactured 29week 2003 at a cost of 220€

Since then i have been very satisfied - the grip is excellent I cannot even make the front wheels block since the tyre grabs the roads surface.
This applies for every road condition.
Dry, wet and the most interesting on icy road with a little salt where I could move and the car had no intention (not even once ) to go wherever it liked!

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Mmmh,me not very michelin fan Reply with quote

I had the michelin Pilot Exalto's and wasn't very pleased with them after I had the GoodYears. I didn't really lose the cornering speed but they started drifting faster and the sharp steering wasn't as precise as with the goodies. I really like a solid tyre that gives a good sharp steering. Anyway thanks for sharing the experience!

Regards!

Paul D.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyre choise Reply with quote

alfistjen wrote:
Hi you all,

I've had an offer for some tyres in 195/50 R15 all between 60 and 70€ all in. But I have a hard time choosing which ones I should take.
The choises are:
- GoodYear Eagle F1
- Pirelli P7000
- Yokohama AVS Sport

I've had the previous model of the goodyear F1's before and was very very pleased with them, superb in dry, even more superb in wet (don't know if the stiff tyre side, the EMT system, made a big difference)

Anybody with some experience in these tires? I don't really minde short life range. Good dry and wet grip are first things I care about.

Regards!

Paul D.

1.7 16V QV '93

Damn that's cheap - is that price also including fitting / balancing and '4 wiel uitlijning'?
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyre choise Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
alfistjen wrote:
Hi you all,

The choises are:
- GoodYear Eagle F1
- Pirelli P7000
- Yokohama AVS Sport

Regards!

Paul D.

1.7 16V QV '93

Damn that's cheap - is that price also including fitting / balancing and '4 wiel uitlijning'?

Sorry, that was me! I keep on forgetting to log in!
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: cheap price Reply with quote

yes I know, it's a little rally-tuning shop I know here and the guy allways knows where to find tyres from stocks that have been 'cleaned' out or promotion offers he had etc etc.... so from time to time I stop at that place, and now got these great prices so it would be stupid not to buy a set for my ronal A1's.... no only to chose one... speaking of a luxurious problem... Razz

regards!

Paul D.
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: forgot Reply with quote

jap, in de prijs zit alles inbegrepen van montage en uitbalanceren. 4- wiel uitlijning niet, 2-wiel in geval van een 33 hč, achteras valt weinig aan te schroeven Wink
maar 't is dus enkel montage die inbegrepen is. dus voor 280€ rij ik op heel erg lekkere banden. Very Happy

sorry for the dutch guys, just saying that price is mounting of tyres 'all in'

regards!

Paul D!
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had both the Goodyears and the Bridgestone RE720s. Both excellent in the wet. It's difficult to know though. You need to drive the same car in the same conditions consistently with both types of tyre at the same level of wear. Of course when you buy new tyres they're nicely balanced and your old set are a bit shagged and would obviously seem second rate. The Bridgestones I've got at the moment are twin compound which should be interesting, but I get the feeling that the goodyears may have been better in the dry, but I'm not sure. I guess you need to do consistent timed laps on a circuit somewhere with the different tyres. Well that isn't helpful is it. Both are definitely excellent in the wet.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: