Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

ice....

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak8635
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: ice.... Reply with quote

stuck in hatfield, -2 degrees..alot of snow, traffic..(and ice soon)

does it worth getting the monster out (with old tires) to go 20 miles down to north london?

anybody was recently outside "on the london streets"?

if only i had the p4...
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know bout u're car but me lovely 33 has the lovely tendency to be really really surprising in icy turns...i got the best possible tires...and me monster keeps on going, depending on its mood, from over to under steer. No idea why..i tested a thing teh other day..i went 50 times into the same right turn, with the same speed and same weight in the car and the result is that 28 times i went into under steer and 22 into over steer....and I HAVE NO IDEA WHY....its front wheel...so it should be understeering like crazy so why the over steer...and better yet why does it go from over to under....the turn is flat...so there's no chance i could have gotten a wheel on more snow or on less ice, my tire pressure is ok, and my tires are perfect...so WHY WHY and i ask again WHY
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple, if you accelerate (or brake) into the corner you'll get understeer. If you lift off into the corner you'll probably get oversteer.
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yeah of course...i know that but i didnt press any pedals when i did the test...i just accelarated to 50km/h and then let my foot of the gas and jsut turned the wheel as much as possible...so it cant be the gas and brake Sad
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: General suspension problems Reply with quote

Perhaps your suspension bushes are on their way out or are worn. Could lead to instability and unpredictability.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Buck Bundy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: P4 in ice? Reply with quote

ak8635 said
Quote:
if only i had the p4...

If you had a uk spec P4 without ABS you would me more likely to get into trouble!

The car lulls you into a false sense of security, but once it lets go it is just as bad as any 33, the only positive thing is that you may be able to regain traction if you are going slow enough.

Buck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Icy roads Reply with quote

Hi

I really like 33 on icy roads, it is alot better than any Golf etc. Train cornering alittle and You can handle it very easily. Select a place with wide road and no stone pavements etc Wink

If You accelerate in corner, do not loose the grip and it goes nicely. If You loose tail, drive it like rear wheel drive.
If You lift gaspedal in corner, it will understeer or loose grip from rear(oversteer) depending of the front wheel angle.

The car is very easy to steer with throttle, You can drive it in 4wheel slide endlessly.

Best of the car is that You can feel it and know what is happening all the time.

That cannot be said about modern cars (Golf, Nissan etc), they are like trainwagons, cannot feel a thing..

Best wishes from snowy Finland

TimoJ 33 1,5ti -89 (under heavy construction)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum