Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Engine - Timing belts - Help

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfafan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Engine - Timing belts - Help Reply with quote

Hi

I replaced the head gaskets of my wife’s 33 1.5.
I replaced the gaskets, put new timing belts, and placed the engine back to is place.
But when I placed the distributor on it’s place, I noticed that it is 180 degrees off it’s position.
On TDC (T) I have the marks (I I) on the camshaft pulleys pointing up, but the distributor pointing to cylinder number 2…
If I turn the engine by hand, nothing touches inside…
If I turn it until I have T again, then the rotor is pointing to cylinder number 1, but the marks (I I) on the camshaft pulleys pointing down…
What did I do wrong???
How do I solve it?

Best regards

Carlos Oliveira
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Similar experience. Reply with quote

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:57 am Post subject: Timing belt change..... problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hI all...

really need some help here....

Changed the belts on my SUD . I had trouble and managed to rotata the engine a few times while trying to get the belts on right. When I finaly got the job done.... the motor turned over by hand ok.... but woulnt start. ... instead backfired occasionly out the air filter.

I read recently (cant find again) that it is possible to put the belts on with the timing 180 degrees out. I think this is it.

I being the risk monger I am. Swapped the left and right spark plug banks. The car started ok.

Running on three cylinders...... changed a plug and back to four cylinders.

BUT..... now my engine is blowing black smoke......

ouchh...

Any ideas..... should I take the belts off and re do the job.... rotating the engine once before re - fitting????

PART 2

Re did the job with piston one under compression.... back to normal... interesting that it worked at all the other way..... one clockwise rotation of the engine and re belted.
alfafan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re do the job??? Reply with quote

So, if I understand right, I have to re do de job...
Right?

Best regards

Carlos Oliveira
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: eah... and... Reply with quote

take the belts off.... turn the motor until piston 1 is at the top (remove the spark plug and look with a torch). Be careful.. if the motor wont turn... dont force it too much if it feels like metal on metal, may be necessary to rotate one or both of the cams slightly.

When piston is at top of cylinder... the T mark (series 1 ) on the fly wheel will show.
Then you can line up cams.
put on first belt... turn it a bit both ways and back again to make sure the marks still line up.
Then do the second. Turn the engine by hand to make sure it rotates through full cycle / 4 cylinders. Check the marks are still lined up. T and both cams. If this is all ok... all should be good.

I didnt remove the distributor.... any probs there I havent discovered yet.

RIch
alfafan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved...
Thanks Smile

Regards

Carlos Oliveira
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: