Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Frozen

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfonso
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Frozen Reply with quote

Cheers everyone. Great resource here. I’ve been devouring previous posts for the past couple of weeks and I never thought I’d end up asking such a stupid question, but…my 33 seems to have frozen!
It all started a couple of days ago when the car failed to start at –20 C (the battery was too weak). The weather now got warmer (around zero C ), but the engine still doesn’t start. I tried jump-starting it from another car. No luck. Bought a new battery. The engine cranks, but doesn’t start as if there’s no spark. How can a car die all of a sudden just because of freezing temperatures?!!
Sure I’ll go through the checking routine – coil, HT leads, connections, etc., but there’s a blizzard raging outside and I have quite a lot of snow in the engine compartment already.
I’m frozen, covered with snow and desperate to find a quick fix. Any hints?

BTW, how’s the weather in your part of the world today?
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks will probably tell me off for suggesting this... as it's probably a little dangerous, but it's something I saw people do when I was in Siberiea.

The Russians light fires, on the floor, under the engine compartment of their cars!

So... I'd put an electric fire - pointing upwards, on the floor, under the engine compartment. Keep the bonnet closed to trap all that lovely warm air.

I'm not sure how much snow you might melt, which could fall onto the fire as water - but that's what I'd do.

My other car is a 2cv (yes believe it or not!) and I use this method all the time, as it hates the cold.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well hmmm im proud to say that i my 33 started in lapland on a (notice the temperature) lovely chilly -33 evening...and on top of it all i even drove it in that weather for over an hour...so what i'd suggest is not warming your engine with fire or a heater but...a check your gas tank as there might be ice in your gas tank so put some thing in the tank just in case and also check your spark plugs and the spark wires going to the distributor cuz sometimes when it gets cold the rubber wires tend to also freeze and then when it warms up they get moist and might screw the cable up so i'd really suggest those things before making your alfa into a marshmellow Very Happy
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guest was me...btw
Alfonso
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the engine running. Wasn’t too easy though. Checked for spark, fuel pump, distributor, voltage in injector connectors. Everything ok. Engine – not even a hint of life. Then got a good piece of advice from an experienced mechanic. He suggested buying a can of engine starter and spraying it directly into the inlet manifold. His point was if the engine fires the problem is with the fuel supply. If engine doesn’t fire – investigate spark plugs first. Did that, engine didn’t fire, so it was the jolly task of unscrewing the plugs. When I took out the first one (the brand new NGK changed only a month ago!!!) I was shocked to see that it’s all soaking wet, covered with fuel and unburned carbon. The other three plugs looked the same, meaning I had been running extremely rich for some time. The plugs just had no chance of producing any spark.
Conclusion to this part of the story is – sometimes the spark plug sitting inside the engine (even brand new) can cause the engine to stop running.

Now for the running rich problem I got myself an experienced engine expert, who investigated the problem for several hours, but without much luck so far. One question that is bothering me right now is about the AFM flap that controls the amount of air sucked in. Mine operates very erratically when the engine is running on idle - opening and closing all the time. The jerkiness disappears under load. QUESTION: Is the flap supposed to be opening and closing all the time on idle? We decided that such chaotic movement of the AFM flap messes up the ECU’s mind, telling it to supply more fuel to the engine whenever flap opens up and lets more air inside. There may be different causes for that, but this post is already getting too long.
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbber wrote:
Some folks will probably tell me off for suggesting this... as it's probably a little dangerous, but it's something I saw people do when I was in Siberiea.

That's hilarious! Laughing
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True though!

Rob
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous winter I was seriously considering installation of an engine preheat system, as supplied for example by Webasto. It's a great device, you can operate it by remote control or set a timer, so when you get into your car it's nice and warm in there and the engine is ready for action. It must reduce the engine wear dramatically, as there are actually no more "cold starts".

At that time, the price stopped me from purchasing (approx. 1000euro). But maybe I'll visit a truck scrapyard once, it should be possible to find such a unit overthere.

Keep it warm Cool

Marcin
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno what the thing is called in english but every here in finland just plug a wall that into the car that warms teh engine up...i think the cable is connected to the battery...or frankly i have no idea where it is connected...but is much cheaper then one of em webster things...if there's any finns here then whats a "lohkolämmitin" in english
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: