Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1.7 16V tuning advice???....

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: 1.7 16V tuning advice???.... Reply with quote

I have just bought a Kit car, which has a rear mounted 1.5 Alfa-sud engine on twin carbs.....I think its got about 90-100bhp.....my intention is to aquire and tune a 1.7 16V engine, I am new to Alfas and the people who offer the tuning parts, your advice would be much appreciated:-

100bhp/litre is quite achievable on a 16v 4cyl engine so I'm aiming for 170Bhp at around 7000rpm...or possibly more, and I would like to do this on carbs - not injection.

Will a set of 40's from a 1.7 8v be up to the job or 170Bhp?

Are aftermarket manifolds available to mount carbs on the 16v heads, or do you think a set of 8v manifolds could be welded up and modified to fit?

What Cams, pistons and con-rods are available for the 16v off the shelf?....I'm told junking the hydraulic tappets is the done thing!

Who sells performance/race exhaust systems for the 33 1.7 16v?.....I will need the manifold system only, and make my own back section to suit my kit-car.

Is anyone generally reccomended to port the cylinder heads???....or offer an exchange service, contact details would be handy!

any advice will be much appreciated, e-mail me on stephen_knight@eea.co.uk or call me on 0787 9427945 mobile

cheers

stephen

Wink
lesthegringo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: a quick answer Reply with quote

I haven't got time at the moment to give a more detailed answer, but simply, a carburettor fed 16v engine giving 170BHP will be

A) a pig to drive on the street (though the low weight of the kit should help)

B) be BLOODY expensive (example £800 plus VAT for the cams)

I'm tuning a 16v engine for a home built mid engined sprint car, so I can give some pointers if you want.

What kit is it? A porsche speedster replica, or Clan....?

Les
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum