Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Backfiring/missing engine on light throttle.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Lewis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Backfiring/missing engine on light throttle. Reply with quote

I have had a bit of a 'mare' with my M reg 16 valve over the last few weeks. Basically the engine was running really badly and was slowly getting worse. Basicaly it was misfiring and refusing to idle smoothly. It got to the point where pressurisation was blowing coolant out of the expansion tank overflow pipe all over the engine bay and a blown head gasket/s was diagnosed.

Anyway the car has been in Allitalia (of Wrexham) for a week and has had new head gaskets, new cam belts, new insulators on the inlet manifolds, Prolong engine treatment and new oil filter, Agip oil and coolant! The throttle linkage was also set up and the whole thing was checked out.....not much change from £600...that hurts!! Anyway I took the car for a test drive and it was loads better, pulling really well and ticking over fine. Unfortunately today I have noticed a problem. When the throttle is pressed very lightly or when it is re-applied after braking, there seems to be a noticable flat spot or flutter in the engine as well as a backfire from the exhaust. I have rung the garage and they explained that as their emissions testing machine was awaiting repair that they had to set the AFM by guessing the setting from experience and that the car may be running too weak. I am a little concerned by the loud backfire and this running fault having paid alot to get the car sorted. Is what the garage are saying correct? Allitalia suggested that I take the car to any garage with an emmissions tester and get them to adjust the mixture screw on the AFM. This they say should cure the problem.

I would appreciate any comments on this. Also is it possible to get the car running better by adjusting the distributor?? Apparently mine is seized in position, but I thought that all the adjustment was taken up electronically?

Cheers Paul.
Daimon7
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul

About 2000km ago i had my `94 16v serviced prior to a MOT inspection.
By setting the AFM on an emission tester, the car passed the inspection roughly but was feeling weaker than before. After my mechanic re-adjusted the mixture to what he thought best, the car did improove but still not as i expected. Soooo with the help of a screwdriver and no emission tester mach, i re-re-adjusted the mix and now my alfa just goes like crazy, but i have also noticed some little (shit.... BIG) backfires after heavy braking and re-accelerating at around 2500 to 3500 rpm, dye to over-rich mix.
My 2 pennies are that if it goes well.. scr Shocked w the back-miss-fires Wink Wink.
Hell they even make the car sound more dangeroussssss

a 33 1.7 16V + T4 + too many things to list - 1****eu = 350hp and many many people wondering why a 360 modena can`t shake off that weird looking, 17" rimmed, red, 11 year old bucket
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: