Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Oil problem, need help!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Oil problem, need help!!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

A few minutes ago I was check the oil level of my 1993 alfa 33 1.7 16V when I saw something terrible. When I opened the filling pipe (probably not the best of English...) I saw a yellow foam. The oil on the level stick though looked pretty good. Also there is no coolant lost nor did it seem poluted.

Is this a sign of a failure in the head gasket, or is it something else. Can I drive it for another two days before repair, or should I drive directly to the carshop.

I am despirate, please help

Thanks,

Alex
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean some yellow foam on the filler cap, or lots of foam in the filler tube?

It's definitely caused by water in the oil, but have you been making a lot of short trips, or left the car standing for a long time? The water may only be condensation if you have been making short trips so the engine didn't really heat up. Also, is your thermostat working properly? water temperature should reach 80º in 5 minutes or so. If not, the engine will always be cold and condensation will build up.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rflower said,its probaly due to short trips and condensation,my alfa does the very same thing,but if its taken on a long run,its gone.
I'd say,unless its showing on your dipstick,your ok.
AlexW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: oil problem Reply with quote

The foam was both on the filter cap as in the filler tube. I have made a test drive and the foam doesn't seem to return.

I have not mentioned that my car was jacked up very high the day before on the left side of the car. Maybe the oil got into contact with places it usually doesn't, so it could have picked up some damp there.

My water temp comes up quite OK. It alway gets to 70 degrees (a bit more on hot days) within 7-9 minutes. I just pelaced the termostat last summer.

I make 15-20 minutes 2 times a day. Are these considered short? Usually the oil not reaches optimum temperature; about 65-70 degrees.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon 15 to 20 minutes a day pretty short. Why don't you have a good burn for a couple of hours.

If you only drive for 15 mins you might as well go by bike
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds weird but sometimes i have heard that foam appears due to the return pipe coming for the ignition (For carb versions) ?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: