Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

backfire / popping from exhaust - 40mm dellortos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knighty2
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: backfire / popping from exhaust - 40mm dellortos Reply with quote

Hi Folks - recently my beach buggys engine (a 1.7 hydraulic from a G plate 33, with 40mm dellortos) is starting to pop and bang a bit when crusing at low speed, less than 3000rpm, it really does sound like neat fuel is dripping into the exhaust.........I have also had a few instances where it dosent want to rev over 3000rpm, and I found that after removing the main jets and blowing them out it would run fine, found a bit of crap in one of the jets on one occasion.........I'm suspecting two things:

1) perhaps the carbs have ingested some contamination either from the fuel or air system???..... or perhaps some of the internal carb diaphrams are breaking up???

2) the carbs perhaps need a re-build........if so what areas would you lot say are focal suspect points considering my symptoms above.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly an idle jet is blocked. I have had this a few times and the car sounds more like a Subaru engine , revs fine but won't sit comfortably at any steady revs. Also exhaust leaks can cause popping sound as air is drawn in through cracks.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Knighty, where the fuel pipes enter the carbs there is a circular filter behind the big nut (17mm?) on each carb. See if there is any crud accumulating there. Do you have an inline paper filter fitted on the fuel line?
A bit of popping and banging just means the mixture is a little too lean or rich, but not revving over 3000 is not so great - problems with idle jets would only cause problems beneath 3000 revs. Above points to main circuit blockage or electrical fault.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum