Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Blasted Puzzler - win 10 quid!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Blasted Puzzler - win 10 quid! Reply with quote

Hi, anyone any ideas – my girlfriend’s 16v is playing up – the car hunts on tickover and has started kangarooing badly at times now. If you push your foot down after a bit of kangarooing/holding back it suddenly lurches and runs fine whilst your accelerating, but once you settle it starts all over again, but here’s the weird bit. Push the airflow meter flap in a little and it stops hunting and ticks over perfectly. I have tried two different AFMs to no avail. I thought I’d solved the problem by changing the ECU and suddenly it started running fine, but Sue drove it to work this morning and it’s back to its old tricks. It can’t be plugs/leads etc can it if it runs fine with AFM flap held open a little. Would that point to underfuelling? There is a lambda probe, but it’s only a year old. I did have the fuel empty warning light come on a couple of times even though there is plenty of fuel, (and the fuel level indicator continues to give correct readings) but if the problem is fuel starvation how come the engine runs fine when the AFM flap is opened a little – it obviously can deliver more fuel and ran fine for a while with the replacement ECU. The problem may be worse in this cold weather even though engine warm. Can’t find any air leaks. I’m baffled.
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Is the lambda a pucka bosch one?

Yonks ago i put on a halfruads special which cost £50, and the car ran badly when cold, and had a highly irratating flatspot. It also had to have the wiring 'cut and shut' with bullet connectors which may have added to the problem.

A bosch lambda which cost about £68 in 2003 plugged straight into the loom, and fixed the running probs. Been fine since.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guy's
mine did the same,i changed the afm and all is good Wink

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I changed the lambda probe earlier this morning and there is an improvement, but it's not great. Maybe we'll try a bosch one. AFMs came off of cars that were running fine so don't think it's them unless the wiring to the AFM is at fault. Will see how it runs for the mo' as about to have to move out of our property into a flat. If anyone is going to need cheap spares off of me they'd better get in quick as I've no idea yet where to store them.
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the move must be a bolt out of the blue , does that mean you are going to get a house on the farms plot Paul or are you now moving for good? anyway good luck matey. On the other hand I would like to get a drivers side door seal and an ashtray for the rear console if you have one ta!.
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, have you tried the idle actuator valve? I just removed the connector whilst the car was running to test mine, as per the manuals instructions, the revs are supposed to rise but mine started hunting and carried on after i reconnected it and then settled down.
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i would try a to read out the blink code from the ecu. most likely the error will be 1-2-2-3 (lambda regulation reaches boundary) which is likely to be caused by fuel starvation (clogged filter, worn pump, faulty pressure regulator) or an air leak between the AFM and engine (are all of those tubes airtight? especially the little oil fumes breather tubes).
As a workaround you can adjust the AFM to compensate by unscrewing the little screw on the lever with engine at idle and adjusting the position of the potentiometer arm relative to the flap. Optimal position can be felt when the engine runs smoothly.

regards,
zp
nezdr4v
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 33 1.7 QV serie 2 (8v IE ) has simillar problem. idle is moving about 100 rpm up - down , it is not steady, and car has kangarooing problems from 1800-2500 rpm. it is good at all other rpms , but it has some kind of cut out or fuel starvation at high rpms . i feel that car dosent have enough power on high rpms.

i changed 2 used AFMs and have same problem. spark plugs and leads are good, can it be lambda probe or maybe fuel pump???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: