Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

To Powerflex or not

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delfos33
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: To Powerflex or not Reply with quote

Hi,

As you understand I'm interested in fitting powerflex bushes on my 33 as my original bushes are worn out. I'm thinking about the whole set (16 pcs) but I'm a little skeptical on these whether to fit all or some. OEM bushes don't seem to last enough (more than 2 yrs fast road use) so i need something more permanent and better.
Cost is high, might be an investment or i'm spending my money?
Any pros n' cons other than the obvious?

Regards,
Delfos33
fluffyduff
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done the front of mine and they seem to be holding up ok. Noticeable improvement over the standard ones too.
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told to do all but 2 from the front and to use new originals instead, i cant remember what ones though.
On 2 at the front you will need to use 2 large thin washers either side of each bush, otherwise the bodywork where they fit into will get pinched, leading to the bushes getting damaged.
I can get them as my mate has loads of them at work or get the dimensions, but basically need to be as large as the outer part of the bush
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd advise against fitting powerflex bushes on a street car, as it will noticeably decrease the ride comfort, and you'll more easily bend the chassis when the wheel hits a pothole (or whatever objects that gets in the way).
33s have been designed with a very flexible body and suspension, which allows for easy feeling of the car's handling. Stiffening the chassis will improve cornering speed, but when the car begins to slip, it's more sudden and difficult to control.
If you go for OEM bushes, they should last at least 200 000 kms.

regards,
zp
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go for oem bushes, get the rear ones for a sud, they are solid rubber rather than 33 ones which are 1/2 filled rubber, or get the ones for a 33 that are solid as there are 2 types, 1/2 filled and solid.
Also completely cover the bolts in copper slip or grease so they don’t rust to the bush shaft, if they haven’t already, be prepared to use an angle grinder and have spare bolts to hand.
When you fit them do not tighten up the nuts until the car is on the ground in its natural resting position because if you do it when in the air when you lower it the rubber is twisted and the bush will be under tension trying to get back to the position where you tightened them up. You dont have to worry about this with powerflex ones as the shafts are stainless steel and seperate from the rubber, still lube up though.
Hope I haven’t told you stuff you already know.
Delfos33
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies!

Zenith i agree with you but I'm suspicious about OEM quality. Lately i hear many complaints about spare parts quality. Everything seems to last no more than 2-3 yrs with normal driving. 200.000 Kms is an optimistic number i think... Changing bushes every 2 or 3 yrs is something none of us would like to do.
BigAl on which 2 are you referring needing washers? Those 2 on cross member? Any improvement on handling and feeling?
Did anyone fit them at the rear?

Regards,
Delfos33
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I agree with Delfos33. I have been experiencing the fact of quality in spare parts. Last week I had replaced the front bushes of my 33 as the ones fitted on the car would squeak and metal sounds would come from any part of the suspension. By the way these were last replaced in early 2004 and the total kms covered were no more than 60.000 kms.

However OEM bushes are no more available so we rely on the built quality of Akron/Malo.

I would be interested however to hear more input regarding Poly bushes as it seems a reasonable option (except €€€ Wink )

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
fluffyduff
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent noticed any real loss of ride confort with these bushes on the front . When i had to replace, i was told that the original buses were not available and that i would have to purchase a new complete wishbone. If i recall correctly, the kit for the front set me back about €150, much less than the replacement wishbones.
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was advised on what bushes to replace and got such a good deal that I did the whole lot on my car, they were originally on my yellow ser 2 then went on my red ser 3 then on my current silver 33.
I was going to replace mine with oem and bought the solid sud rears but for longevity I was advised to get power flex. I sold the oems to Paul.H. not sure if he has fitted them yet.
I had to replace one of my arms as the lower ball joint would have failed an mot on my yellow ser 2, I replaced the bushes at the same time for oem ones. When I hit a pot hole the new oem bush was pushed partly out of the recess, how annoying was that. I don’t think this would have happened with a poweflex bush as the shaft is separate from the rubber.
I cant remember which bush needs shimming, I will try and have a look for you.
There has been no detrimental affects on ride or handling, there is less body roll in corners and the car settles much quicker when exiting a fast corner or change of direction, ask Paul.H what he thinks of the handling now I’ve got the tracking sorted out, it still could be better as the top mounts are shot. I am running 195 50 15 by the way.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly some interesting points of view here!

Unfortunately I think the problem is due to the OEM bushes ALREADY being 10 years old, even when sold as new. So we're putting 10 year *new* bushes on our cars which perish after only a short life as they're made of rubber.

I can't see I'd ever fit OEM bushes again due to this... most people (me included) want to do the job, properly, once and forget about it for ten years.

Poly bushes... well. I had them on my GTV and the ride stiffened up quite a lot. It did lose *some* of the flexibility in the steering but I feel this was simply different, rather than better or worse. I've heard people report the hard compound of the poly bushes can cause damage to bodywork points, BUT, I don't *think* I've ever seen this backed up with actual evidence.

So, I think you just take a bit of a chance either way really.

Personally, I'll be going for poly bushes when they need replacing. It's a fair few quid though...

Bob Cool
RedAlfa
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Where is the best place to buy a complete OEM bushes set??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: