Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

struts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: struts Reply with quote

Can you fit the older front struts with 4 studs to the late cars that have a 3 stud fitting? Confused
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can. 3 stud ones were slimmer and had different coil mount.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messybloke. I don't think you can mate... sorry.

Bob
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a shame. i am taking my 33 on the Crumball Rally (2000 miles of fun driving across Europe) in September and need to find a OSF strut to replace the oil free example that the car has at the moment. Trouble is i cant find one. Can anyone help!
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also why does "alfa arna"appear under my name?!? i dont have one and as they are probably harder to find than a OSF 3 stud strut, never will.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do with the number of posts you've made.

The Arna is where one starts.

Bob
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd, I was just about to post that I have the same problem, my latest car has 3 stud struts, well rusted, and I have good 4 stud spares.

The bottom end looks the same. I'm toying with the idea of drilling new holes for the old style struts, and fitting a reinforcing plate for good measure. I don't believe the position of the top of the strut is critical within a mm or so.

My car has extra holes punched in the top plate, but they don't match the old stud pattern, does anyone know if they fitted more than 2 different struts?
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: struts Reply with quote

i have now been told that you can fit the four stud struts. BUT if you get them positioned wrong it makes the steering horible.
I think what really matters is being sure that the steering arms on the strut are in exactly the same position. If they are not it will not work at all well.
Also if you get the top mount position out, even a little bit the caster and camber will change and that may make the handeling odd at best........or so im told!!
What we really need is to find someone that can fit inserts or give us new struts.
My car also has extra holes in the top plate, not sure what they are for. Changing the caster/camber maybe?
If you do it please let me know how you get on.
Do your struts leek or are they just rusty?
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

yes top mounting position is critical, in the old days i had a Volvo on which this position could be adjusted to tune the front axle characteristics, well, it needed to be adjusted on the laser bench, and any attempt at replacing the struts without laser alignment would give an undriveable and dangerous car.

regards,
zp
Eddie_W
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the four bolt struts the top mount bolt spacing is eccentric so that they will only fit one way. Two of the studs have a slightly closer spacing. The struts fit with two studs basically in line with the fore and aft axis of the car and two across. The closer spacing is between the rearmost stud and the outside one. This puts the angle built in to the top mount in sync with the angle of the strut tower.
Regards Eddie
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

messybloke
Why don’t you get hold of a fixed strut brace "non adjustable" to make sure holes are exactly where they should be. Mark the holes up and drill and fit 4 stud shocks, get it tracked and carefully test. If it doesn’t work, go back to the 3 stud shock.
The fixed strut brace will not fit on a 16v due to the heater box being too high, but you could remove it for the mock up and replace after. Or buy the adjustable strut brace and adjust on a 4 stud ser 3 and then do as I suggested above.

Do you have the 4 stud shocks or inserts?

RE: 4 stud struts, there made by Spica or Boge and used roller bearings or use plastic FAG encased bearings. Depending on what Koni inserts you can get, will dictate which struts to get. Check out the availability of the inserts, if still available.
Spica shocks have a bottom end that is like a top hat whilst the Boge are concave and then there is the internal diameter size difference between the 2 types as well.
Fitting the inserts is an easy job, you will need to drill out a hole in the bottom, in the middle, "not sure on the gas filled ones though" drain the oil and then cut off the top just below where the indents that hold the shock in place stops.
For you, having a 16v I would suggest getting a 16v 4 stud shock, making sure you can get an insert for it.
I say this because I have a 4 stud struts from a non 16v and fitted it to my 16v and you will have to do the fiddly job of filling out the holes at the bottom of the strut, for the hub, to correct for excess - camber. The 16v shocks naturally sit lower than the 8v's and compensate, as in no adjustment is needed for the - camber.

Need any more help feel free to pm me and drop me a line
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: struts Reply with quote

That is a great idear about the strut brace Idea . where can you get them?

I havent got any struts yet (still hoping a 3 stud will show up!)i might be off to Italy on the 1st of June and they may still be out there. Mind you when you look around the net most of them(33s) seem to be in Holland, have a look at autotrader.nl.

I must have forgot to say my car is an 8v by the way.

Thanks again Smile
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon Tweeks still offer an OMP strut brace for the 33 Smile .
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just noticed that my Imola has a different pressing from that on my 1.7 for the front strut top mounting.

This may be just to accommodate a larger top mounting for the Imola strut, but it may be wise to check and compare the angle and centre position of the strut mounting before trying to fit the 4 stud strut.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messybloke
i guessed as the 3 stud shocks are only on the ser 3's, i would suggest putting model in you signature for future referance, eg 8v ie s3.

re: the strut brace, i want to get one, once i have mine on the road, so 2 things could be done. I can buy the 16v one which will fit the 8v, as i assume yours is a ser3, we could meet up, thats if you can drive yours and you could mark your car up. Or you could buy one, mark it up and keep it or sell it to me minus the cost of postage.
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl
The trouble with my car at the moment is it has no MOT and is not at my house, so i have trouble looking at it as a referance.
Having now had a look at it, i think the body around the strut top is differant. I somhow think that trying to get the right strut is the only real option.
However as regards the strut brace, as yours is also of the road why not make one, i bet they cost a fortune and they are quit a simple thing.( like myself) Rolling Eyes

RFLower. I am not sure what an Imol is? Is it a Sprint or a late 33? What is the spares situation like in France, im there next week.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

messybloke wrote:

RFLower. I am not sure what an Imol is? Is it a Sprint or a late 33? What is the spares situation like in France, im there next week.

Imola is a late 33, 1992 on, 1351 cc engine, 13" wheels, I don't think it was sold in UK.

As I pointed out above, the strut top mount pressings are different from earlier cars. I think struts are Fiat, maybe Tipo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: