Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

lining up cambelts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: lining up cambelts Reply with quote

Got this from someone, can anybody help?:-

Thanks, really useful stuff. I have just one question though - it concerns changing the cam belts on the 1.7 with hydraulic tappets.
The complete manual on the site you mentioned below (well put together from microfiche) states that you turn the crankshaft by 45' to avoid the valves hitting the piston when the camshaft is being positioned (section 00-4)
However, do you know in which direction I need to turn the engine in to achieve this ? i.e., clockwise or anti-clockwise?
My understanding is that the normal direction of the engine is 'clockwise' whilst standing at the front of the car, and 'anti-clockwise' whilst seen from the rear of the car i.e., the flywheel side. Therefore if you could shed some light on which direction to turn the 45' in, I'd be extremely grateful.
Also, all the manuals refer to lining up the 'tooth and the two adjacent milled grooves on the timing pulley are visible through the hole on the rear guard' - is it very obvious what to line up, it is just any tooth, or a specific one ? Obviously I'm going to tipex all the pulleys and crank positions before I remove the old belts, but it would be nice to know what to expect.

Many thanks again,

Eddie
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Generally you never turn the engine the "wrong" way. Just turn the crank so that the cam belt is pulling directly on the cam and not on the tensioner on the way to the cam. However in this case that doesn't matter much as you are going to have to turn it the wrong way once.

The cut outs are pretty obvious once you have seen them.

All the best

Keith
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Keith, have passed this onto him and will continue to persuade him to register.
eddie
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith, paul - thanks for the info. i've registered now - 'eddie', so hoping to contribute a bit myself now.

keith, just going back to your response:

"However in this case that doesn't matter much as you are going to have to turn it the wrong way once."

ok, so i think you are saying that yes, once i've fitted the first new belt (the left hand one), released the belt tensioner onto the belt, tightened the tensioner nut, i then rotate the crankshaft 45' in the opposite direction to normal running, i.e., anti-clockwise (when standing infront of the car) ? This will then avoid the valves hitting the piston on the right hand camshaft when i try to position it for the right hand belt.

can you confirm if this is right - don't want to break that lovely 1.7 boxer !

btw - the car is the last of the 1.7 QV Sprints, but it shares almost all the running gear of the 33 as it has hydraulic tappets, outboard disks and rear drums, so i feel at home with you 33 guys.

also - if it's done 65K miles, would you recommend changing the waterpump or tensioners ? or is a visual check usually good enoguh to make sure they look ok/no excessive play etc.

really appreciate the help.

Eddie
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im about to do the belts and tensioners on my 16v. I would put engine tdc, remove belts "using key to hold cams in place if you have it" replace belts, not moving crank, then rotate crank with both belts on to the position where you release tensioner and re-tighten 1 side at a time when in the tensioner setting timing position. same principle for 8v?
Is this correct?
eddie
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

that sounds completely logical to me - line up the cams and crank (tdc), mark eveything up with tippex incase it moves, take off the old ones, put on the new ones and then run it round a couple of times to get the tension right.

but the manuals talk about rotating the crank (not sure which way yet) by 45' between the two new belts going on.....all sounds a bit odd to me...hence my question, and also which way do i turn it - don't want to bend anything! Embarassed

Eddie
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, I would hate to steer you wrong, hence me saying "Is this correct?" and waiting for someone to disagree.
I have done a lot of 8v head replacements in my 8v days, both hydraulic and shimmed and I have never moved anything between fitting the belts. The only explanation I can think of for the manual saying so might be to do with when you take the belts off the cam will rotate in one direction due to the valve spring wanting to move the cam to a neutral position.
If it does move because you dont have anything to fix the cam in place, then rotate the crank in the same direction by the suggested amount or move the cam back and hold it in correct place and fit belt.
eddie
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

ok, if that's what you've done and it's worked for you, then it sounds like a plan to me.

thanks again for the info.

Eddie
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I too would normally set the engine to tdc, remove belts and replace without rotating the cams / crank. One of the cams will move itself when the belts are off, but not had a problem with that causing the valves to touch a piston.

All the best

Keith
eddie
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Keith, i'll go that route.

also having looked through the other items on cambelts in the forum pages, it sounds like there is a general recommendation to renew the cam belt tensioners at the same time, so i'll do that to.

however, i'll probably just check the play on the water pump though, and change it if it looks like it needs doing. Unless someone things otherwise.

thanks for everyone's help.
Wink

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: