Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Where the hell are the cam timing marks in 1.7 16V 33?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfalfa
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Where the hell are the cam timing marks in 1.7 16V 33? Reply with quote

I'm disassembling the heads but I can't find the camshaft timing marks. I place the cylinder 1 to TDC around end of compression stroke and the timing wide notch for the flywheel inductive sensor is at the sensor. The notches on the 2&4 bank camshaft beltwheels (two notches on the upper wheel and one in the lower don't align at all. Are there other marks or has the engine been built up wrong? It was runnig OK, so the timing can't have been entirely wrong.
16v campervan
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, it doesn't sound like you are on the compression stroke. On my engine the missing two teeth do not line up with the sensor when the engine is at TDC for no 1. The timing marks on the cam pulleys do, however line up. I use a whistle on the end of a tube fitted into the plug hole to quickly determine the compression stroke. You could also do it looking at the camshafts to see which valves are shut. hope this helps.
Alfalfa
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Found the marks Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply. I wasn't on the TDC, the T-mark on the flywheel was very faint and I found it accidentally. I also found the workshop manual from www, which demystified the timing marks. I didn't realise that the small triangular notches were a second set of timing marks. Compared to the 8-valve engine, the added 20 some hp doesn't justify the added complexity. This is a nightmare to repair especially when the spares are so difficult to come by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: