Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Running on Super unleaded

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Running on Super unleaded Reply with quote

The engine in my kit car I may be having overheating problems with, is a
1982 95bhp 1490cc Sprint Veloce unit designed to run on leaded 98RON

Question?
Have seen recommendations to retard the ignition by a few degrees if running on 95RON unleaded.

Would I need to retard the ignition if I run on Super Unleaded, normally it lives on a diet of OPTIMAX 98.6RON super-unleaded plus some Lead replacement additive with octane booster in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Running on Super unleaded Reply with quote

Hi

It should be fine on Super Unleaded. If you click on the "Pb" icon above you will see a scan of the page to convert to unleaded.

All the best

Keith
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyderman,
I don't know how is yours fuel, but some of those better grade/higher octane/cleaner fuels that are good for todays car, sometimes are very bad for older ones.
From my experiance some 99 octane super unleaded made my 16v very hot while on highway traveling around 100mph. It was around and above 100 C, while in normal conditions and 95 or 98 plus unleaded I had around 90C.
Mind you car runned more smothly with 99 and temps were ok while in city driving Confused
Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Running on Super unleaded Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi

It should be fine on Super Unleaded. If you click on the "Pb" icon above you will see a scan of the page to convert to unleaded.

All the best

Keith

Cheers Keith Have read that one, It says my engine is an "R".
From the comments on the pages it says for 95RON, is the ignition retard for the drop in RON rating from 98 to 95 or for unleaded, or both. Smile

As if the engine only needs a retard, I would guess the valve seats are ok for unleaded, and the retard is for the RON drop rather than fuel type change. Thus if I used 98 RON unleaded I could use standard timing.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not heard of anyone having problems with the lack of lead. But they were set up to run on 4* (97 RON).

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum