Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Does anyone know water pump ltrs per min??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dean dempster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know water pump ltrs per min?? Reply with quote

I know this seems a bit technical but it's for good reason..

My 33 engine is overheating, I've had the gasket tested and changed the thermostat so now I feel that the water pump is'n't doing what it should be.

I'm considering upgrading to an ewp elec water pump but wanted to know what the performance is of the existing pump at high revs.

I know that the ewp pump is at about 80ltrs per min.

Can anyone help????
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Water Pump Reply with quote

See next post

Last edited by Ken McCarthy on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Water Pump Reply with quote

Dean

I don't know what the mechanical water pump rate is but I fitted a Davies Craig pump and it has been very successful. I also fitted the variable speed controller.

I completely removed the old pump and fitted a cover plate. The electric pump has to be mounted very low down so it is self bleeding (no air pockets). I removed the thermostat (cut open the housing and re-welded) then blocked off the bypass on top of the block. You also have to block off the heater return and make a special bend with spigot between the radiator and pump to bring the heater return back. After all that the heater won't work so you need a little booster pump for that (not yet fitted as we don't have much cold weather).

I also fitted a slightly lower temperature fan thermo switch and the whole thing runs about 5 to 10 degrees cooler and no overheating. I also set up a little circuit so that when the electric fans (I have 2) run on after the engine is switched off, the electric water pump runs too.

I'm not sure I would recommend all this in cold climates as it takes a bit longer to warm up. Maybe leaving the thermostat and bypass would be OK in that case with the pump running at constant speed.

If you want any more info, diagrams etc, let me know.

Regards
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Ken this setup looks quite interesting! Could you post a couple of photos of the setup? They would be very enlightening.

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanassis

Pictures don't show much as it is buried in the engine bay. I have some diagrams and sketches that I will email to you. I have not yet worked out how to post pictures here so maybe someone else can do that.

Regards
dean dempster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good but much work.. Well done though!!

I have managed to find an open thermostat and I'll try to find a shorter belt in order to bypass the water pump. Theres advice about removing the impellor from the water pump, do you know whether this is possible??

The whole system seems a good idea and there's a new davies craig pump out now with 110 lts per min but no temp control box available yet.

Thanks for the advice.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ken McCarthy Wrote:
I also fitted a slightly lower temperature fan thermo switch and the whole thing runs about 5 to 10 degrees cooler and no overheating.

This, i would like to install on my own car...My 16v takes ages to get some temperature, but once warm it doesnt stop there... The needle in the dashboard gets to 100/110ēC.
I alredy installed a new switch from Alfa, and a new thermostat, but that didnt chage nothing...

What switch have you installed on your car... Can you give me his reference????

Thanks in advance
P.Camilo
dean dempster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm glad I'm not the only one - My 33 engine also runs at approx 100c and gets to 110c up hill.

I upgraded to kenlowe fans, had a gasket test and fitted a new thermostat but still no difference..

The Davies Craig pump seems a good system. If you try www.daviescraig.com.au
you can find a supplier.
Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Pump Reply with quote

Ken McCarthy wrote:
Dean

I don't know what the mechanical water pump rate is but I fitted a Davies Craig pump and it has been very successful. I also fitted the variable speed controller.

I completely removed the old pump and fitted a cover plate. The electric pump has to be mounted very low down so it is self bleeding (no air pockets). I removed the thermostat (cut open the housing and re-welded) then blocked off the bypass on top of the block. You also have to block off the heater return and make a special bend with spigot between the radiator and pump to bring the heater return back. After all that the heater won't work so you need a little booster pump for that (not yet fitted as we don't have much cold weather).

I also fitted a slightly lower temperature fan thermo switch and the whole thing runs about 5 to 10 degrees cooler and no overheating. I also set up a little circuit so that when the electric fans (I have 2) run on after the engine is switched off, the electric water pump runs too.

I'm not sure I would recommend all this in cold climates as it takes a bit longer to warm up. Maybe leaving the thermostat and bypass would be OK in that case with the pump running at constant speed.

If you want any more info, diagrams etc, let me know.

Regards

Ken if you have any diagrams etc I would be interested in seeing them as I am considering fitting one in my mid-engined kit car to try and improve cooling in traffic
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum